THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Any home remedies for a dog with dry skin?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any home remedies for a dog with dry skin?

I have a three year old Black Lab. Ever since winter hit he has had quite the itch along his back because of dryness. I know I can go the the vet and get some meds, but I would rather try some home rememdy if I can. Its not red or flaking or anything, just a little dry with a little bit of dander. He is going kind of nuts trying to scratch that itch though. Anyone have any tips. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Veteran

It could be alergies or it could just be the weather. What kind of dog food do you feed? You might could try a holistic dog food like the Nutro Ultra brand. I know that helped with my previous Boxer. You can also bath them on a semi-regular basis with an oatmeal shampoo. I got it at petsmart. Bath too much and it will dry their skin up too though.

Grease from cooked ground meat in their food also sometimes helps, just make sure you don't have any spices in from the cooking.

All else fails you can give him some of the kids benedryl--colorless. It will help with the itch at least.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That sounds like some good advice.

Right now he either gets Iams Healthy Wheight or Beneful Weight Control. In the past we had a hard time keeping his weight down even with measured portions and as much exercise as I can give him. He is much happier and energetic since the switch.

I just read some advice that said mix water, baby oil, and Original Listerine and work that into the skin. I guess the Listerine has a little alcohol in it to give a cooling sensation and the baby oil is moisturize the skin. I might try it. He is starting to rub himself against the inside of his cage kennel.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:00 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

surely there's a moisturizing shampoo in the dog aisle. just pick up some of that and give it a bath twice a week.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Vet told me to use an oatmeal shampoo - sure enough they're out there. Never tried it to find out if it worked though - turned out she had a digestive issue that created a vitamin deficiency.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would surely give him an oatmeal shampoo bath on my own if i could. 10 degrees out and no tub. I have had it done at Petco before butat $45 a pop. The last time my wife brought him in she got him a medicated bath. Probably should just bring him back for another bath.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:17 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to mom, (who knows everything lol), an egg once a week, and a bath with a cortizone rinse (once a week for the first few weeks, then once a month), will fix your pooch right up. The cortizone rinse can be found at a pet store or petmeds.com with free shipping. (If it doesn't work, blame my mom, not me lol).