THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Any Linemen on here

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Linemen on here

My local technical school offers a lineman course that gets you into an apprentice program. Pretty much doing the ground work for a year. I don't mind long hours and love working outside so it sounds interesting. Is this anything like mill workers where you have to know someone that knows someone to be able to get a decent job? Im 22 years old and ready to find a career. If anyone has any helpful info on this please let me know. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kyle, my buddy chris took the course over in baxley and was an apprentice for a year and has now moved up to a lineman and makes a **** ton, he travels because he is single, he works in fla during the week now then back home on fri night and goes back sun night
Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been in linework since 96, graduated highschool. I started out with a contractor in Carrolton Ga.Got a job with the local EMC in 2000 and I love it , I could never imagine doing anything else. I would check into Southern company, local co-op's, emc's to see if they were hiring.If you plan on being a family man contract linework will get old fast,but if your single it's a great way to make good money. Also this is a dangerous trade and you must have a sharp mind and common sense or you wont live long. Good luck and if you have any questions pm me.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do telephone line work. Luckily... nearly all of our cable is buried.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

linesman is cool, but if u like troubleshooting check out an industrial electrician apprenticeship's over seas thats were the real money is, or any mining outfit really
Old 01-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

im 24 been doing this just under a year and i love it ! nothing like putting on a set of hooks and being 50ft off the ground. some people say we are crazy but you have got to love your job or you should just stay at home. one of the coolest things iv ever done and ill never go back to doing something else. my situation worked out awesome for me. i was only a ground had for a few months and was put on a new crew that really needed a lineman so they started training me right away. like said before if you want a family its not that great but you get to travel to alot of places... some good and some days not so good. i live in AR and have been working in stillwater OK for the past 5 months. drive 7hr up on sunday evening and come home on thursday. i would say if you have the chance jump on it ! o yeah and the pays not pad either
Old 01-13-2012, 07:02 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good money and lots of OT if you're willing to travel and be on call. Wouldn't want to do it with kids or anything but if it's just you go for it.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Justin. I don't mind traveling but would kind of like to be home on the weekends. Sounds like most guys doing this are. Okefenokee Tech offers it right now in Waycross. Did he take it at Altamaha Tech in Baxley? Because im already enrolled there at the Brunswick Campus.

Whipple how did you get in? Did you take the course at a trade school to get into your apprenticeship? This is something I am really looking into.

Thanks for all the information guys and 1969x11 for showing me where to look for jobs.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

I've been a lineman coming up on 10 years now. I work for a municipality in Delaware, so I don't have to do all of the traveling that some guys do. You don't make quite as much money as the traveling guys, but you're home every night. Either way, the pay is really good and you get to see some interesting things over the years.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO if you want to do this dont go to the school,go find some contractors working near you and see if they are hiring.Most of the better ones have thier own training facility that they will Pay you to go to.Almost everything you need to know about this trade will be learned on the job. The company I worked for Mastec sent me to thier climbing school in Gaffney SC, transformer school in Carrollton Ga. When I went to work at the co-op They required me to go through thier apprenticeship TVPPA soo if you pay for this school it may be a waste of your money. Get in the trade and get your CDL'S asap this will get you more money.