THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Any Linemen on here

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1969x11
IMO if you want to do this dont go to the school,go find some contractors working near you and see if they are hiring.Most of the better ones have thier own training facility that they will Pay you to go to.Almost everything you need to know about this trade will be learned on the job. The company I worked for Mastec sent me to thier climbing school in Gaffney SC, transformer school in Carrollton Ga. When I went to work at the co-op They required me to go through thier apprenticeship TVPPA soo if you pay for this school it may be a waste of your money. Get in the trade and get your CDL'S asap this will get you more money.
Very true.....almost everything you learn will be on the job. You can't prepare in the classroom for some of the things you will come across on the job. Just when you think you've seen it all, you come across something else you've never seen before. And as stated before, get your CDL's asap.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn I thought I was the only lineman on this site, good to know there more brothers on here. Stay safe.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KDavis04ss
Thanks Justin. I don't mind traveling but would kind of like to be home on the weekends. Sounds like most guys doing this are. Okefenokee Tech offers it right now in Waycross. Did he take it at Altamaha Tech in Baxley? Because im already enrolled there at the Brunswick Campus.

Whipple how did you get in? Did you take the course at a trade school to get into your apprenticeship? This is something I am really looking into.

Thanks for all the information guys and 1969x11 for showing me where to look for jobs.
i got in due two friends that work for the co. sitting around drinking on night and buddy looked over and asked if i wanted a job. 2 weeks later i was 200mi up the road working in the middle of a cotton field on the mississippi river. lol

and im with 1969x11, friend that got me the job they paid for him to go do the school and he said its a joke. the one he went to they teach you to climb like nobodys business but thats it. i worked with a few from the school and most of the time i have found all they come out of the class with is a CDL and not knowing much of building line. but it is a great job and i enjoy it very much. good luck
Old 01-14-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the heads up I will Definitely look around and see what I can find. I just thought having the schooling would help get into a job and browning points for having the course done. But I did talk to a friend that has a friend that is a lineman and he said the same thing, that the course is a joke and he has learned everything on the job. And I like the fact that you get your CDL's while you are there. Would if make any difference if the course would be free? In GA we have the hope scholarship so we don't pay tuition. So it like getting free "training" and then they help you find a apprenticeship. Would start out pay vary much going to school then finding a job rather than just trying to find a job that offers their own schooling?
Old 01-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KDavis04ss
Thanks for the heads up I will Definitely look around and see what I can find. I just thought having the schooling would help get into a job and browning points for having the course done. But I did talk to a friend that has a friend that is a lineman and he said the same thing, that the course is a joke and he has learned everything on the job. And I like the fact that you get your CDL's while you are there. Would if make any difference if the course would be free? In GA we have the hope scholarship so we don't pay tuition. So it like getting free "training" and then they help you find a apprenticeship. Would start out pay vary much going to school then finding a job rather than just trying to find a job that offers their own schooling?
free would be nice. and getting a CDL for free would be really nice and having them help you find a job after... sounds like a good deal to me. forgot to say this a in my last post. if you get a job somewhere and they pay for you to do the schooling. most of the time they will want you to sign a contract with them for like 2 yrs or so
Old 01-15-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SLTC | Southeast Lineman Training Center My buddy attended this school right out of high school for 15 weeks . Was only home for two weeks and found a job. Started off at 15$ an hour.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Although I am not a lineman, I have done the work as a coop and work with them everyday as a distribution engineer. If the school is free, it would be advantageous for you to take it as it will give you a leg up in the selection pool and interview process. If you are hied on with a large utility, such as Southern Company, you will receive LOTS of training from them. If you think you may want to get on with SoCo, go ahead and get on the schedule to take the qualifying tests. As others have stated, you will travel more and have higher earning potential with a contractor but will have more stability with a local utility. Even with a local utility, you will have a chance to travel on storm teams and make overtime during local outage events. It is a good field to be in as the power industry is not going away anytime soon.