THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Anybody familiar with WRX engines?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody familiar with WRX engines?

Well, my girlfriend is driving a 2000 Acura Integra that's pretty much ready to be changed out for something a bit more "reliable". Her car has issues due to it having been lowered before she bought it over 100,000 miles ago. It's body is pretty beat up, and well, it's just time to go. We went looking around and turns out Carmax had a pretty clean 2008 WRX turbo model. It's not an STI, she actually wanted a WRX/automatic/awd which is somewhat difficult to find believe it or not, the autos were the rare breed lol. Anyway, my only issue with this car is even though it's an '08 it has 76k on it. Someone must have had a pretty decent commute I'm thinking. The mileage was actually what put it in her price range of 16 grand though, so at least she gets something much newer that'll be good in the connecticut winters.

My question is, being that it's a turbo model how long can we expect reliability? I doubt this car was beat on too much, there's no evidence of it being modified really and I know she's not going to be driving baja style down the interstate in her 15 minute commute to work. Is this car going to last for a while or are there any common issues that we should watch out for?? This car was a real quick decision on her part, but I didn't disuade her from buying it because the integra really needs to go lol... it's whooped. I know the n/a models are obviously going to last longer, but what about her "new" turbo engine? What do you guys/gals know?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Launching!

The boxer engines are incredibly stout. I've seen some STI's running 10+lbs of boost with spray on top and they just keep going.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:58 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have quite a few friends with them, and the only one who's blown anything up, was trying to blow it up (over 20lbs of boost ).
Old 04-06-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm just hoping that this car will be a good DD for her... She really deserves it, she's been dealing with her integra that's been draining $$$ just to keep it on the road. It's a decent car, someone could make a cool little project car out of it... but for everyday reliability I'm really hoping this'll fit the bill.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you keep it stock you will be fine. but if you so much as change the downpipe subaru will void your warranty. I promise! they just had to put a new motor in my sti under warranty (the longblock is over $11,500 alone) and they almost didnt cover it because it "looked" like it had a downpipe on at at some time (i never did but i can't vouch for the previous owner)
Old 04-07-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Its a good car. My buddy has one and he beats the crap out of it and it still runs like a champ. Should work for your GF just fine.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:59 AM
apple bottom jeans

Originally Posted by mikeith
if you keep it stock you will be fine. but if you so much as change the downpipe subaru will void your warranty. I promise! they just had to put a new motor in my sti under warranty (the longblock is over $11,500 alone) and they almost didnt cover it because it "looked" like it had a downpipe on at at some time (i never did but i can't vouch for the previous owner)

Why did yours need a new engine? (also looking at buying a wrx/sti)