THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

anybody have experience breaking apartment lease?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody have experience breaking apartment lease?

well im getting my house built and im supposed to close on it on november 25th. I am currently in a lease with the apartments i am in until february. i cant afford to pay off the other 3 months for the apartment on top of a house note. my question is, if i just stop paying the apartment after november, when i move out, will my credit score get messed up as well as my renters history or what? i dont really care about renters history since im going to be in this house for many years to come, but i have good credit and really dont want to mess it up. thanks
Old 10-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Idk about credit stuff, but you'll have to pay a hefty amount for breaking the lease before the contract is over.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

More than likely your credit score will take a hit, and your remaining balance on your lease will probably be sent to a debt collector, thus damaging your credit even more and eventually you have to pay the balance anyways.... Remember a Lease is a binding contract that you are liable for, just cause you move out and stop paying does not mean your are not liable anymore...
Old 10-19-2009, 02:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get in touch with the manager and tell them your situation, if you've been a good tenant they will most likely understand and allow you to terminate your lease early.
They really hate when you do not give them notice and just up and leave.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek @ EDO
I would get in touch with the manager and tell them your situation, if you've been a good tenant they will most likely understand and allow you to terminate your lease early.
They really hate when you do not give them notice and just up and leave.
Best advice. It's amazing how flexible people are when approached with humility and sincerity.

Also, the sooner you let them know, the better. They may say, "If I can get someone to commit to being in there before you leave, I won't charge you anything." This has worked out exactly this way for me more than once.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i talked to them today, they pretty much said they want the reletting fee, plus 2 months rent. thats the policy. pretty much want 2 grand from me. i dont know what ima do
Old 10-19-2009, 04:26 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

yes it will F your credit up. go talk to your apartment and they may have new tennants lined up to fill in apartments. thats how my old apartment was. all rooms filled and people in line waiting for the next available.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:28 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

whatever you do, dont default on it lol.

your first mortgage payment will be deferred. so if you close in november, your first house payment probably will not be due until january.

you can also ask for a small extension on the first payment from the bank at closing. it never hurts to ask for the first house payment to be deferred to february of 2010. dont let them think its a deal breaker...just let them know that it would make everything alot easier for you. explain the apartment situation and chances are that they will have no problem with it. your tied in with them for 30 years or so anyways lol.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

i had too do this in 07 , rent was 1500 a month with the same for a down and an additional 500 for deductable. too brake the lease i had to find new occupants or cough up 1500 and take a minor hit on my credit . i couldnt find anyone to take over the lease so i coughed up the money . two years later my credit was back to 700+ and now i am in my very own house. time heals everything.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i got to meet with the manager tomorrow. pretty much what one lady said was i could just pay the remaining 3 months, or pay the fee to break the lease, which is only 10 dollars less then my rent, and i would still have to pay 2 months rent. which she says is normal procedure. so we'll see what happens tomorrow with the manager

Quick Reply: anybody have experience breaking apartment lease?