THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

anybody have experience breaking apartment lease?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
i don't think you get the check until you file your income taxes... Just keep that in mind.
ya you can get it about 2 weeks after you close, just have to amend your taxes
Old 10-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Tribe Shaman

the day we signed and that key hit the palm of my hand, me and my wife moved out of our apartment.
we did not put stuff away, just unloaded in the garage and made the next trip.
we made 5 loads in my truck and her car, blew up the air matress, ordered pizza, and spent our first night in our new home.
the next day we moved stuff in from the garage.
we did not give a 2 weeks notice, all utilitys were shut off by friday, left no forwording mailing address.
two years later, buy my wife a jeep liberty, nothing showed up on my credit.
put down 2k and the payments totaled the sticker price of the jeep if that gives you an idea of the intrest rate we were charged.
we left it clean, they got to keep the doposit, and i know some one was living their in less then 2 weeks.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

i did it in 02 but they didnt put it on my credit report until 04, they have tried to call me and negotiate they wanted to settle for 1/3 of what i owed, but i still didnt agree ... this last year...
Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Tribe Shaman

ap if they waited a few years to put it on my credit i could care less.
i got a chunk of realestate under my *** worth 170,000 thats 5 years from being paid off.
if i truly needed money for a emergency im sure i can get a loan with no problems.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PappyDan
the day we signed and that key hit the palm of my hand, me and my wife moved out of our apartment.
we did not put stuff away, just unloaded in the garage and made the next trip.
we made 5 loads in my truck and her car, blew up the air matress, ordered pizza, and spent our first night in our new home.
the next day we moved stuff in from the garage.
we did not give a 2 weeks notice, all utilitys were shut off by friday, left no forwording mailing address.
two years later, buy my wife a jeep liberty, nothing showed up on my credit.
put down 2k and the payments totaled the sticker price of the jeep if that gives you an idea of the intrest rate we were charged.
we left it clean, they got to keep the doposit, and i know some one was living their in less then 2 weeks.
how long ago was this? see ap said he did it back in 02. i wonder how much things have changed since then, if any change has taken place with this whole apartment thing
Old 10-20-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I guess they dont pay much attn to an apartment lease like they would a credit card or mortgage,? maybe that is why? it always been weird that they would never say something about when i would make a big purchase? even when i bought my 2nd home last year 200k+, hell i neved even went to the bank for the loan i went to the loan officers house to do the paperwork,(she lived a few blocks away).
Old 10-20-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

They can pursue you for payment too. Just something to think about
Old 10-20-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, if it were me, given the above ideas (good info everyone!), I might run an ad on Craig's List and see if anyone would like the place and be willing to sign a new lease. Then, go to the manager's office (with the new person) and do it!!! I don't know anyone who would refuse a situation such as that.

However, if that still doesn't work and you end up having to go to court, you could use this as evidence that the landlord is completely unreasonable.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if you can sublease it to someone else.
I've never done it, but my understanding is that you wouldn't be breaching a contract. You just lease it out to someone else and once your obligation is up you can have them renew the lease with the landlord.

Not sure if you can do that there or not but seems the best route to take is to find a replacement tenant. The entire idea of a contract is it guarantees the landlord an income. As long as you have a replacement you should be able to decrease the damages.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Tribe Shaman

Originally Posted by dry_kill
how long ago was this? see ap said he did it back in 02. i wonder how much things have changed since then, if any change has taken place with this whole apartment thing
around 2000.
we had 3 months left, the deposit would have taken care of a month, leaving 2 months rent unpaid.
got her car 2 years later and had nothing on my credit report.

Quick Reply: anybody have experience breaking apartment lease?