THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Anyone tried straight talk?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone tried straight talk?

I'm getting a little tired of my $100 AT&T bill every month, so I am exploring other options.

Straight Talk has a plan for unlimited everything for $45/mo. And you get to keep your number. I'm just curious if anyone is using this for their smart phones?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mdwatts11
I'm getting a little tired of my $100 AT&T bill every month, so I am exploring other options.

Straight Talk has a plan for unlimited everything for $45/mo. And you get to keep your number. I'm just curious if anyone is using this for their smart phones?
Yep, I switched to ST about a month ago. My parents did it a while back too. My dad is the one who convinced me to do it. They have a BYOP (bring your own phone) program where you can get a sim card for $10 for most any att, t mobile or unlocked GMS phone.

I used my iPhone 4s and ported my att number over to ST. Was pretty easy. I did have to jail break it finely to get the MMS to work right, but its working good now. Data, coverage and speed is just as good as att cuz they rent space on att towers and network. I'm happy, and saving $50+ a month.

I had a year left on my contract with att, so should have a $205 ETF, but they haven't charged me for it yet. It wasn't on my last bill from them... even so, I was paying $100+ a month for att so in 4 months I'll be break even and after that, will be save $55 a month.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, love it
Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh RLY. Hmmm I have slowly dropped things off my plan such as ring back, unlimited texting, such, have my bill down to 85 a month but, still keep 450 talk mins, unlimited data ect. I would bet their service is horrible in my area. Verizon is by far the best service in my place, but *** they are crooks.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:40 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting about the BYOP program & SIM card. Now my wheels are turning too.

How hard was jail breaking your ip4?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Straight Talk is just a reseller of minutes. They use other providers towers to run "their" phones on. Those phones are actually rebadged Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile phones. Which provider you use depends on which model you get. That's why they can do the "Keep you number" deal. Because they're basically just taking your phone, keeping it with the same provider you have a contract with, and making it a prepaid phone through that same provider. Hence, you get to keep your number. It works the same way if you were to go to your provider and tell them you wanted to switch your phone to a prepaid account. You would keep your number, and start paying monthly based on their prepaid "plans".
Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Interesting about the BYOP program & SIM card. Now my wheels are turning too.

How hard was jail breaking your ip4?
It was pretty easy

Originally Posted by midnightbluS10
Straight Talk is just a reseller of minutes. They use other providers towers to run "their" phones on. Those phones are actually rebadged Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile phones. Which provider you use depends on which model you get. That's why they can do the "Keep you number" deal. Because they're basically just taking your phone, keeping it with the same provider you have a contract with, and making it a prepaid phone through that same provider. Hence, you get to keep your number. It works the same way if you were to go to your provider and tell them you wanted to switch your phone to a prepaid account. You would keep your number, and start paying monthly based on their prepaid "plans".
That might explain why I was never charged my contract early termination fee.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of **** are you guys signing up for that costs so damn much? Im only pay 58 a month and I thought that was way to much, and I have way more data then I need, way more minutes, unlimited text and who knows what else
Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My friend has it and he's a OTR truck driver he has no problems with it.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 PM
The House is Rockin'

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Oh RLY. Hmmm I have slowly dropped things off my plan such as ring back, unlimited texting, such, have my bill down to 85 a month but, still keep 450 talk mins, unlimited data ect. I would bet their service is horrible in my area. Verizon is by far the best service in my place, but *** they are crooks.
If you have unlimted data you should be using the magic jack app, its fukin free phone calls to us/can i know cause i use it.

They only charge you when your using there stuff for your landline.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried straight talk?