THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Anyone work in the HVAC field?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone work in the HVAC field?

im currently going to school for this and was wordering if anyone here knows about it, and if its good to go into?
Old 05-10-2008, 02:36 AM
TECH Regular

dont know much about it..its a great field always need some to work on the A/C units
Old 05-10-2008, 03:43 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't work in that field, but my best friend does, makes a very good living from it. He has been doing it for about 4-5 years now and is making over 24$ an hour, not to mention side work from it. If you like doing it, I say go for it, lots of $$$ to be made. Hot or Cold, you will be the man who does it..

John
Old 05-10-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've worked in the HVAC field full time for 6 years and several years of part time stuff with my family before that. Depending on where you are the average is probably 30k-60k. You'll find more money in larger cities and area's with unions. Here in FL the pay SUCKS! Most people who know what they are doing make more money with side work than their 9-5. What school are you going too?
Old 05-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am 31 and have been a Sheet metal worker since 18...I completed a 5 year apprentiship program. In So Cal I currently make $41 hr plus $15hr in benifets as a Journeyman/foreman. However I am Union and do architectural/General sheet metal. If you do not want to go to college I think that Sheet metal is one of the best trades....work/pay wise. I have the truck in my sig and a house...but now feel I could have done/made more had I taken a little different route i.e architect/draftsmen...more $$

-Good luck
Old 05-11-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shakinlm7
I've worked in the HVAC field full time for 6 years and several years of part time stuff with my family before that. Depending on where you are the average is probably 30k-60k. You'll find more money in larger cities and area's with unions. Here in FL the pay SUCKS! Most people who know what they are doing make more money with side work than their 9-5. What school are you going too?
im going to osu oklmugee, i have 1 year left. After i graduate im going to try an open my own ac busniess, hopefully i will do good...
Old 05-11-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteChevy3
im going to osu oklmugee, i have 1 year left. After i graduate im going to try an open my own ac busniess, hopefully i will do good...
Best of luck to you! I looked at the "plan of study" and it looks better than trades school programs that I've looked up before. I have worked with several people fresh out of trade school and there is a LOT they didnt know. If you want to go out on your own find a job with a company that will let you get your hands into some residential, commercial, and industrial; new installation, service, and change outs. To get licensed your going to need a min of two years verifiable experience as a lead mechanic and be able to pass a VERY in depth test. You might as well learn as much as you can while your working for someone else .....
Old 05-11-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BURLS1
I am 31 and have been a Sheet metal worker since 18...I completed a 5 year apprentiship program. In So Cal I currently make $41 hr plus $15hr in benifets as a Journeyman/foreman. However I am Union and do architectural/General sheet metal. If you do not want to go to college I think that Sheet metal is one of the best trades....work/pay wise. I have the truck in my sig and a house...but now feel I could have done/made more had I taken a little different route i.e architect/draftsmen...more $$

-Good luck
Is there a high demand for HVAC workers there? I've spent a little time in the shop bending sheet metal but I prefer working in the field

Last edited by shakinlm7; 05-11-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Local 162 here 10 years.Great field of work around here the climate changes so much here keeps us busy year round.
If you seen are Norcal retirement it would make you ask how is that possible.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
Local 162 here 10 years.Great field of work around here the climate changes so much here keeps us busy year round.
If you seen are Norcal retirement it would make you ask how is that possible.
After seeing how much burls1 makes I looked into Unions in FL. I found one in Orlando and one in Tampa FL. I don't know if I can join as a Service Tech, If its anything like the unions up north you have to know someone to get in.

Quick Reply: Anyone work in the HVAC field?