THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Apple VS everybody, eerrr I mean Samsung, I mean Samsung

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only problem I have with your post Julien is that Apple did not invent the tablet, nor the touch screen phone, nor app based phones. They simply took other peoples ideas and improved on them JUST like Samsung and other companies have done to Apple. Apples ace in the hole is their modularity and simplicity backed by enough cash to bully the other competition into submission.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:04 AM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
1)Price point. Nobody can afford to innovate and buy patents like Apple without selling their products for 30% more. Apple is bigger than Exxon. Others innovate to a small degree, no where near to the degree of Apple who is a zillion dollar company. Heck, they are all making a product to work with an open source OS from someone else. 2) Unlike Apple who is building the whole thing, OS and product. I agree with the whole premise of the battle though, I'd be pissed too if I was Apple. To be honest they had to go to court. They had to.
They are bloody cash Rich, can't deny that. And it's caused alot of internal strife at Apple and it used to be a big issue with stock holders because prior to Mr. Jobs passing away they did not hand out dividends. They just stockpiled cash and even now they still have a stupid amount of money which goes completely against big corporate accounting practices. I think last I heard they had 100 billion in liquid cash. But you know what, Steve Jobs did that on purpose so that he could do exactly what you were saying. Most every other company ties up their cash in other businesses and joint ventures so that their money can work for them and they then have to leverage themselves out and consequently they don't have financial flexibility to keep up with what Apple has done with it's cash reserves in regards to R&D, buying patents, creating markets, etc...

1)Apple, Mr Jobs knew ...that Apple had to build a basic device that a 7 year old could operate and then build all other product platforms from the same concept. It is genius. That same 7 yr old will be 16, 24, 30 and all along the way buy a smart phone. Or any mobility product. Genius. Pure genius. They have a great and organized set up. Android stuff is all over the place. The downside of open source. Google is a little late to the game in trying to create a central organizing place for you and all your ****, but they are the only other company who has enough power ($$$) to compete with Apple on that front. But they still have to rely on other companies to make the handset/other products for you. (who purchased motorola?) I just think they should lose this particular/specific patent battle. It is not good for consumers that they won. They had to fight it, but they need to lose.
I agree, they should of lost that case for the sake of keeping the competition competitive and healthy but I don't think it's Apple's fault they won. These companies are always suing each other anyways for patent violations. It's just that this time they actually won and won big. Anyone know how many times Microsoft has lost patent lawsuits?

Any of you guys read up on or hear the scoop on how these large firms do all of their patents? They buy more patents than they make on their own. When you are a 500 Billion dollar company you can pay crazy amounts of money to own (and shelf) any idea that is competitive to you.
The energy industry does that as well, I'm pretty sure there's quite a few industries that are guilty of that which is a total shame!

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Only problem I have with your post Julien is that Apple did not invent the tablet, nor the touch screen phone, nor app based phones. They simply took other peoples ideas and improved on them JUST like Samsung and other companies have done to Apple. Apples ace in the hole is their modularity and simplicity backed by enough cash to bully the other competition into submission.
Correction: they bought the patents and with that the rights to that technology, and then they improved on them. Samsung and other companies improved on a technology that "apparently" they did not have a right to use. (based on the results of the lawsuits). I'm not sure how much Apple paid for those patents but wouldn't you be pissed if you payed "X" billion $$ for a patent and then your competitor just uses that technology without your permission? I mean that is the basis of that lawsuit isn't it? That Samsung used technology that Apple invested in and bought the rights to use and Samsung did not.
That's why we have the patent system isn't it? And as stupid as the finger swipe patent is(or whatever it was), is Apple really responsible for it, I mean it's the Patent office who decides what qualifies as being a genuine idea vs. something that cannot be patented right? If there was no legitimate programing reason for the "finger swipe" patent to be granted by the Patent office, why was it patented then?

Basically I don't see Apple as being at fault for protecting the technologies they paid to legally use. If the blame lies anywhere it's to the Patent office for granting intellectual rights for stupid things.

On that note: Did you guys know that the term Three-peat (as used in sports) is actually a registered term that I think belongs to Pat Riley and Byron Scott of the Los Angeles Lakers. Anytime anyone uses it, supposedly those two get some kind of royalties. Stupid isn't it?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Android can do some things (everything) better, but everyone I know with one has trouble. Never any with the iphones i've had
Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx
Android can do some things (everything) better, but everyone I know with one has trouble. Never any with the iphones i've had
I respectfully beg to differ.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:32 PM

Those three specific types of technology I referenced are not owned by Apple. I was simply using those examples to show that they are not making new crazy technology simply taking older stuff and making it more palatable for the masses. So technically by these standards Apple shouldve been sued for copying Microsoft's tablet when they came out with the iPad. Or been sued by IBM for coming out with a touchscreen phone, or sued by Microsoft for using app based programs? Basically Samsung IMO isnt doing anything that Apple hasnt done. Apple is just being a bitch about it.

I will agree that the android phones can do more but are more glitchy, nature of the beast I suppose. Lately Im tired of the beast but my EVO is almost 2 years old and its lived a tough life. Probably has a lot of **** virus' on it.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 AM
GFYS and STFU

Those three specific types of technology I referenced are not owned by Apple. I was simply using those examples to show that they are not making new crazy technology simply taking older stuff and making it more palatable for the masses. So technically by these standards Apple shouldve been sued for copying Microsoft's tablet when they came out with the iPad. Or been sued by IBM for coming out with a touchscreen phone, or sued by Microsoft for using app based programs? Basically Samsung IMO isnt doing anything that Apple hasnt done. Apple is just being a bitch about it.

I will agree that the android phones can do more but are more glitchy, nature of the beast I suppose. Lately Im tired of the beast but my EVO is almost 2 years old and its lived a tough life. Probably has a lot of **** virus' on it.
I get what your saying, the whole intellectual property rights is a big snaffu cluster **** IMO.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I respectfully beg to differ.
Dropped my 3g in milk then jumped in a saltwater pool with it (shagged *** getting out) on separate occasions. Must've had an air pocket trapped in it. I retired it with a cracked screen from having no case or cover film. Still works. My 4 is good so far as well. No mishaps with it, but I won't be buying another otter box.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:50 PM

Ill just leave this here...
What Did Apple Really Invent? - Damn! LOL
Old 09-12-2012, 10:45 PM
GFYS and STFU

Ill just leave this here...
What Did Apple Really Invent? - Damn! LOL
You really hate Apple huh? I still fail to see what they've done wrong in all this.

To me:
-They buy the patents/rights to a piece of technology
-Create/build/invent a product with the technology they own
-Market it
-Sell it
-Then defend the technology that they rightfully own

Where's the issue here?

And rather than discuss what is meant by "Apple Inventing" products, I think this guy does a good job of explaining it...
Article: Does Apple Invent Things? | BuzzingPixel
Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cody is just being normal.. It's ok we all get use to it after some time.

Quick Reply: Apple VS everybody, eerrr I mean Samsung, I mean Samsung