THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

AutoCAD Users in here - Layout Viewport / Model question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AutoCAD Users in here - Layout Viewport / Model question

Hey there. Was hoping someone with the knowledge who has done this before could give me a clue as to what I need to do to make my request work.

I'm trying to get the model in my viewport to plot in monochrome, while retaining color capability for the layers that I have created in my layout paper-space. AutoCAD 2005 by the way.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

To be honest, that would require a plot style that I don't think can be created. The easies way to do what you want, would be to set all your model layers to black, then plot it, then undo the color change. You could try setting your viewport shadeplot properties to a grayscale vs. the standard 2D wireframe, that might work as well.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't know why the standard monochrome plot style would not work. When you go to plot, just select the plot style (see image from 2010 but I recall being same for 02 and 07). If you don't have the plot style available, create one and set every layer reference color to black. If greyscale is ok, you can just go to your printer/ploter properties and select b/w instead of color. This should work in model space or layout.
Attached Thumbnails AutoCAD Users in here - Layout Viewport / Model question-plotstyle.jpg  
Old 03-20-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BigKid,

Thanks, and I do know about setting it to monochrome.ctb under page manager, but I have a few objects (text, circles and the like) that I created in the "Layout" tab in paperspace that I want to plot in Color, while having the model in the Viewport print in black and white. The way you described it, seems to only plot black and white for both model and layout objects.

Any other ideas are welcomed, thanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

im taking autocad 2012 right now in school. dont think ive gotten to that point yet or id try and help.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Launching!

I think you would need to get a custom plot style, and change the layers to match the style for what you want.

I would just save your file, change all the colors you want to print in monocrome to black and print the drawing in color. Then before you save, hit the undo button, and hold down the enter key till your back with your original drawing. This will keep your layers straight, buy might get anoying.

If you have PDF writer, then you can pint to a PDF (in monochrome) and add the color part in pdf writer.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

There is no way to separate page layers form model layers. Auto-CAD cannot distinguish between the two (technically there is no difference anyway, just the way you are using different layers).
Old 03-20-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by aQuickLS1
I think you would need to get a custom plot style, and change the layers to match the style for what you want.

I would just save your file, change all the colors you want to print in monocrome to black and print the drawing in color. Then before you save, hit the undo button, and hold down the enter key till your back with your original drawing. This will keep your layers straight, buy might get anoying.

If you have PDF writer, then you can pint to a PDF (in monochrome) and add the color part in pdf writer.
QuickLS1, yes, I do utilize Acrobat Professional. I'll try that. I was just trying to keep the plan all in one drawing file so that as I made changes to the model, all of the layout viewports (hence, individual specific detailed pages with select viewports) would change as well, and in doing so make updating PDF's for distribution that much easier.

Originally Posted by blade7022
There is no way to separate page layers form model layers. Auto-CAD cannot distinguish between the two (technically there is no difference anyway, just the way you are using different layers).
Blade, Thanks, you answered the question that I hadn't really been able to find a concrete answer for by searching the AutoCAD forums. I guess I will just setup a temporary file for doing this and re-import the model from the main file when I modify it. Site plan, so only when I add buildings or change underground infrastructure. I appreciate your help.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:12 AM
Launching!

What if you copied and pasted what you have in the model tab beside itself. Then change the copied stuff to one layer that is black? Then in you view port, pan over to view the black only?

-Kenny
Old 03-21-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Ahh... I see what you are trying to do now. There are a couple ways I see to do this, none which are easy to switch back and forth though.
Easiest method, go in layer manager and select all but the layers you want to print in color and change the layer color to black. This will only work if all of your drawing's objects are colored by layer though.
Next method only works if the layers you want to print are a unique color from the rest of the drawing. Simply edit the monochrome plot style, select the color(s) you wish to print and change them back to that color (or what ever color you want them to print as).
Third method is similar to what LowSilver suggested, select all of the objects in model space, change color to black, go to layout and print. All the objects in your viewport from model space should appear black while your unique layout objects should appear in color.