THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Bass Boat/Jon Boat Guys, Come in

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 04:13 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bass Boat/Jon Boat Guys, Come in

I need some advice. I have a 1972 16' Kingfisher fiberglass boat. It has a 2-stroke 50hp evinrude Electronic Shift motor on it. It ran fine for about the first year I bought it. After that, I've had constant problems with it. Mainly it flooding while at the lake or river. I would put that thing with the two suction cups on it, that you hook a water hose up to. That way I could run it a minute or two to make sure it would crank at the lake. It would crank right up at the house, take it to the boat launch and nothing. It's like it would flood out. I took it to a guy and had it fixed. He said the carbs were clogged up.(cost me $225) He told me to put that red fuel Stabilizer stuff in the gas tank. That way the gas wouldn't go bad and to hook it up to the hose and run it for about 5 minutes every few days. I did that and it ran awesome for about 3 months after that. I also replaced the ignition coils/wires & the battery cables. Made it run even better. I left it alone for a few months and it cranked up after a few tries. Took it to the river and it ran fine and then when I was downstream from the dock about 1/3 mile, it slowly died on me. That was about a year ago and ever since it's been sitting up. I've been stranded on the river 2 times because of this and it took about an hour to get back to the dock with the 36lb thrust trolling motor.

It's kinda scary every time, not knowing if it'll get me back to the dock. So, I was wondering if I could hook a 25-50hp mercury 4-stroke to the stick steering? And if there is a throttle/turn-key set-up that is similiar to the one I have now, that way I can sit in the front seat, instead of a tiller mount? Does anybody know anything about this?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:38 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been a while since I looked at a marina style tank. Is there a little brass vent on tank. Wounder if it is a vapor lock issue.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:44 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Yeah, there's a plastic vent. Works fine though. I was thinking it was the carbs or something...
Old 01-27-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Have you cleaned out the fuel tank, bad fuel filter maybe..If it runs fine then slowly dies it sounds like a fuel issue.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:01 AM
14 Second Truck Club

I completly changed it out with a new 6 gallon tank & new line/bulb from bass pro shops. I haven't been running a fuel filter though...
Old 01-27-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

How do you mix the oil or do you have oil injection?

There is some good information on here....http://forums.iboats.com/
Old 01-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Tribe Shaman

my dad had the same problem, he cut the fuel line and added a fuel filter.
no more cloging or trash.
he also turns off the fuel at the dock and lets it run till all the fuel in the carb is use up before he loads up and go home.

after doing stuff like this he has never had a problem running his boat up and down the river.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

It may be a fuel pump problem, If you keep pumping the ball (in the fuel line) will it keep going. It's just a diaphram pump on the motor, should be pretty easy to fix.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what i would do is accidentally leave the engine mounting levers loose on the transom, and let that dumbass evinrude fall off the back.

then, i would search my local newspaper and find a used yamaha, mount it up, and take it to a boat dealer to get the necessary hardware to mount it to a steering system. that was the best money i ever spent on my yamaha! my boat sank in salt water about 5 years ago, i was able to get the boat out and back to the dock, as the water was very shallow. got it home, pulled the plugs, skeeted a little wd-40 in the holes, cleaned the fuel filter, and it cranked up like nothing ever happened!

my evinrude would hardly ever crank, especially in the cold when i was duck hunting. i think those new e-tec's are pretty good motors, but VERY expensive!!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

do they put ethanol in the gas where you live?

Quick Reply: Bass Boat/Jon Boat Guys, Come in