THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

calspeed... crap experiance...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default calspeed... crap experiance...

read about them on here a few weeks ago and figured i give them on a try on there SS long tubes (really OBX's) for my 03 sierra...

well they came in the mail and this is what i got...

headers looked good... put together well for the price...
header gaskets (to the head) were crap... already falling apart... (on the phone tells me they recommend not to use them? how bout stating that on there website when you go to buy the product? OR ANYTHING!)
NO clamps for the two sections that needed to be clamped...
NO studs from the headers to the Y pipe...
NO studs from the Y pipe to the rest of the exhaust...

So basically NO hardware... went to Ace and got what i needed as i (like most) had to cut my exhaust out and needed my truck back now not after i call and ask for them...

installed everything and seemed to go smoothly... used my metal gaskets from stock since the truck only has 43k on it and reused the header bolts to the manifold as well since the kit didnt come with those either... but they finger tightened in so they should be fine...

started up the truck and good ole leak from the pass side header to the head... so far cant get stopped... next step im gonna try and take all the bolts loose and reset the header... if that doesnt work then ill be buying a set of aftermarket ones that are worth a dang...

next problem was once i got on the road the driveshaft yoke is beating off the header... shaved a little of the corners of the yoke to see if that helps but still on left hand turns it gets into it...

so i "emailed" calspeed since they dont do phone calls... emailed saying call me... they emailed back asking why... so i told them again to call me and gave a small explanation... eventually they called...

i told him i think the weld angle isnt right and thats why its hitting.... not much room to screw up even the slightest bit... he tells me i gotta send off the whole system to him... then he will send it off to where he gets it to see if its a warrantied problem? then they send them back to him... and he sends them back to me... 2 weeks minimum... what the hecks up with that? how bout send me the drivers side header and ill send this one back... i dont care where he got them from or who makes them for calspeed... i bought the item from calspeed... they should be the ones to take care of this! i even asked if i could upgrade to another header and pay out of pocket... send these back and once warrantied they can refund the money for these OBX's... he said nope... has to send me back the OBX's and ill have to sell them myself...

on top of this he did say it should have came with the hardware... but never once passed the idea of sending any of it... never once asked if i still needed it... just didnt care...

Ill never do business with this company again... complete crap... they wont back up a product they sell what so ever... so here i am spending more money to make there product work and probley have to take the drivers header off so i can beat it with a hammer... are you frickin kidding me? what a junk company...

Last edited by Huntingman2706217; 06-08-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

let me guess, bought them because they were cheaper than everything else?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:51 PM
13 Second Truck Club

looks like you should of bought the tried and true pacesetters that are fairly cheap
Sucks you have all that trouble with no help from the seller
Old 06-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be a lot easier just to use a hammer and put a small dent in the tube that is touching. It's really not a huge deal, and if you wanted a good product you should've spent the money the first time.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly...spend any time on this website searching and reading and you'll find out quick that the stock gaskets they send are junk, and you are always going to need to buy better clamps and hardware such as bolts. Thats a given especially when buying an inferior product. Most poor boys buy Pacesetters, and even then I'm sure you have to spend the extra coin on some stage 8 hardware and better gaskets
Old 06-09-2011, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Huntingman2706217
but they finger tightened in so they should be fine...
Maybe this is why you have a leak?

Are you sure the header flange is not sitting on top of the dipstick tube bracket?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Use the search button and look up OBX headers, you'll learn that nearly EVERYONE that has used them on a 4x4 has had front driveshaft clearence issues, I think I'm one of the few that didn't, and it's because I cut the Y-pipe braces to fit in an X-pipe. Also no one uses the crap gaskets that come with them. You also need to make a bracket to keep the #5 plug wire away from the header, or you will burn through it.

Are you sure it's leaking and not just valvetrain noise from the thinner primary material?

Most of us that have these bought band clamps to put everything together instead of the muffler clamps that came with most.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=450962

Last edited by dmelvin; 06-09-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds a little crappy on calspeeds part but what did you expect when you bought a complete header system for 300 bucks. They're cheap for a reason. Some things you should know about header systems:
Always reuse you stock gaskets, the supplied ones suck
Always reuse your stock manifold bolts they're fine no header manufacturer supplies those
You shouldn't use u clamps anyway, they crimp the pipe and rarely can you ever get them apart, use band clamps
Obx headers rarely fit 4wd trucks right
LPP's are the best stainless cheap header out there
You can't expect a company to wheel and deal with you, you bought a product they have to make it right through the manufacturer
Always, always, always do your research.

This site is filled with EVERYTHING you could ever want to know about header installs. Calspeed should be more informed with their product but you're just as much at fault for not reading up in them on this site.

Your best bet to solve the problems that you're having is either loosen the crossover on the ypipe and spread it apart some and reclamp it to get the collector of the yolk or dent the primary a little. On the leak, retighten the bolts and/or get new stock gaskets. If the header flange isn't warped the stock gaskets and bolts will work fine. I can't count on my fingers and toes how many sets of headers I've installed with the stock hardware.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ur truck hasnt been wrecked before has it. I had a truck that the frame was tweeked a lil bit and caused this same issue.

But yea thats shitty of them to not help u out more.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:24 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Huntingman2706217
so i "emailed" calspeed since they dont do phone calls... emailed saying call me... they emailed back asking why... so i told them again to call me and gave a small explanation... eventually they called...

i told him i think the weld angle isnt right and thats why its hitting.... not much room to screw up even the slightest bit... he tells me i gotta send off the whole system to him... then he will send it off to where he gets it to see if its a warrantied problem? then they send them back to him... and he sends them back to me... 2 weeks minimum... what the hecks up with that? how bout send me the drivers side header and ill send this one back... i dont care where he got them from or who makes them for calspeed... i bought the item from calspeed... they should be the ones to take care of this! i even asked if i could upgrade to another header and pay out of pocket... send these back and once warrantied they can refund the money for these OBX's... he said nope... has to send me back the OBX's and ill have to sell them myself...

on top of this he did say it should have came with the hardware... but never once passed the idea of sending any of it... never once asked if i still needed it... just didnt care...

Ill never do business with this company again... complete crap... they wont back up a product they sell what so ever... so here i am spending more money to make there product work and probley have to take the drivers header off so i can beat it with a hammer... are you frickin kidding me? what a junk company...
We fully stepped up and offered to help 100% immediately.

It is always unfortunate when a customer is disappointed and we do anything and everything in our ability to help and provide the best possible customer service possible.

1) You emailed us at approx 12:45 PM: "Please call me... 6795886661... Lots of problems with your headers...Travis" -

I received your email at 2:30pm. We had no idea who was emailing and regarding what product/vehicle etc. You recieved an immediate reply asking for information regarding your order / vehicle etc, we called to discuss within an hours time following that, same business day.

2) We have installed dozens of these systems with no problems. If there is a manufacturing defect we need to receive the exhaust system back for inspection for warranty replacement etc. You asked several times if you could receive a replacement set without sending in yours, or if you could return them (used) and apply the purchase cost toward another brand etc.

3) Im sorry but if they did not fit, you should have immediately contacted us regarding the problem. At this point you have already modified the headers for fitment which means we would have to see if they able to be warrantied (if something was found wrong with them). You asked what the turn around time would be, I told you approx 2 weeks. The reason for this is you will have 3-5 business days each way depending on shipping distance from us. I dont see how this is at all unreasonable. If you receive a product from any company and dent/modify/cut etc them to make them fit, it is unlikely any company will accept a return/warranty for the product.

4) These are actually not OBX's, OBX puts there name/tag on their headers they receive from an independent manufacturer just as many other companies do on the same product. Nothing in anyway related to their company.

5) I actually completely care but you stated you "didnt receive the hardware weeks/months ago but never called or brought it to our attention and had to go down and get bolts for them etc". If you would of called us when received to let us know there was a problem, I would have let you know header bolts to cylinder head arent included with them (and nowhere is it listed they are). The baggy that has the exhaust header collector gaskets (which you stated you received) also contains the other hardware included with the headers.

We fully offered to see if we could warranty or replace them if there was a problem with them. All that was needed was return of the product for inspection. You declined to return the product. I am not sure what else I could do for you if you cannot return the items.

Jim @ CalSpeed & Performance (Owner)

Last edited by CalSpeedPerformance; 06-09-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: calspeed... crap experiance...