THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

calspeed... crap experiance...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Sounds a little crappy on calspeeds part but what did you expect when you bought a complete header system for 300 bucks. They're cheap for a reason. Some things you should know about header systems:
Always reuse you stock gaskets, the supplied ones suck
Always reuse your stock manifold bolts they're fine no header manufacturer supplies those
You shouldn't use u clamps anyway, they crimp the pipe and rarely can you ever get them apart, use band clamps
Obx headers rarely fit 4wd trucks right
LPP's are the best stainless cheap header out there
You can't expect a company to wheel and deal with you, you bought a product they have to make it right through the manufacturer
Always, always, always do your research.

This site is filled with EVERYTHING you could ever want to know about header installs. Calspeed should be more informed with their product but you're just as much at fault for not reading up in them on this site.

Your best bet to solve the problems that you're having is either loosen the crossover on the ypipe and spread it apart some and reclamp it to get the collector of the yolk or dent the primary a little. On the leak, retighten the bolts and/or get new stock gaskets. If the header flange isn't warped the stock gaskets and bolts will work fine. I can't count on my fingers and toes how many sets of headers I've installed with the stock hardware.

Have to agree here... People that buy cheaper headers, are rolling the dice as to fitment vs buying a header that cost $$$.. Sorry for your luck in this case.. Usually when you cheap out it cost you just as much as going with the more exp choice first time around... :/
Old 06-09-2011, 01:05 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Sounds a little crappy on calspeeds part but what did you expect when you bought a complete header system for 300 bucks. They're cheap for a reason. Some things you should know about header systems:
Always reuse you stock gaskets, the supplied ones suck
Always reuse your stock manifold bolts they're fine no header manufacturer supplies those
You shouldn't use u clamps anyway, they crimp the pipe and rarely can you ever get them apart, use band clamps
Obx headers rarely fit 4wd trucks right
LPP's are the best stainless cheap header out there
You can't expect a company to wheel and deal with you, you bought a product they have to make it right through the manufacturer
Always, always, always do your research.

This site is filled with EVERYTHING you could ever want to know about header installs. Calspeed should be more informed with their product but you're just as much at fault for not reading up in them on this site.

Your best bet to solve the problems that you're having is either loosen the crossover on the ypipe and spread it apart some and reclamp it to get the collector of the yolk or dent the primary a little. On the leak, retighten the bolts and/or get new stock gaskets. If the header flange isn't warped the stock gaskets and bolts will work fine. I can't count on my fingers and toes how many sets of headers I've installed with the stock hardware.

Also, concerning your leak, it the bolts are bottoming out throw a washer or two on there so you still have some threads and then you can torque them down. Not sure if that's what your saying the problem though.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to step in Jim! Good to see you in here.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

didnt think id get this many posts... sorry not to keep up...

no the dipstick is not in the way...
going to have to dent the header... bout the only other option there...
i did read on the header on this forum... however it was just one thread... i also PMed someone who even used them and asked him about them and everything... so i did some research and only found good... just my luck... im sure most of its bad but i happen to pick out the ones that are good... lol

now off to bash calspeeds post...
Old 06-09-2011, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

We fully stepped up and offered to help 100% immediately.

Please... explain to me when this happened?

It is always unfortunate when a customer is disappointed and we do anything and everything in our ability to help and provide the best possible customer service possible.

If you did... i wouldnt be passing the negative word here now would i? Ill give credit when credit is due... which isnt this case...

1) You emailed us at approx 12:45 PM: "Please call me... 6795886661... Lots of problems with your headers...Travis" -

I received your email at 2:30pm. We had no idea who was emailing and regarding what product/vehicle etc. You recieved an immediate reply asking for information regarding your order / vehicle etc, we called to discuss within an hours time following that, same business day.

well lets see... i said call me... gave my number... and my name... why would i need to give you anything else? if you called me i would do it then... just as i ended up doing anyways... so i had to EMAIL you this information... then TELL YOU this information again when i called... how bout just giving me a call and going from there? or better yet sticking your phone number up on the web site so that your customers can call you immediately when something isnt right? i mean thats what 90% of the established companies due?

2) We have installed dozens of these systems with no problems. have you not read this thread? everyone says the same thing i did... so i guess now you know huh? how bout taking care of the problem? maybe not sell them for 4x4 trucks without stating there is a possible clearance problem... If there is a manufacturing defect we need to receive the exhaust system back for inspection for warranty replacement etc. You asked several times if you could receive a replacement set without sending in yours, or if you could return them (used installed dummy... you have to install them to see if they fit? u kidding me?) and apply the purchase cost toward another brand etc.

3) Im sorry but if they did not fit, you should have immediately contacted us regarding the problem. I DID!!!! WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!! At this point you have already modified the headers for fitment AGAIN WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I NEVER MODIFIED THEM... there still the frickin same... keep coming up with crap to try and make yourself look better... its not working... never said anything about moding them... i modded my yoke! however im about to dent it in to make it fit... your warranty program is crap and will leave me without a vehicle for 2+ weeks!! which means we would have to see if they able to be warrantied (if something was found wrong with them). You asked what the turn around time would be, I told you approx 2 weeks. The reason for this is you will have 3-5 business days each way depending on shipping distance from us. I dont see how this is at all unreasonable. If you receive a product from any company and dent/modify/cut etc them to make them fit, it is unlikely any company will accept a return/warranty for the product. again... never did any of this... dont know what your talking about...

4) These are actually not OBX's, OBX puts there name/tag on their headers they receive from an independent manufacturer just as many other companies do on the same product. Nothing in anyway related to their company. ok? you sell them as your headers?... so this statement technically has nothing to do with OBX except for the fact that most everyone here knows the design as the headers from ebay that OBX sells... so its referenced to them to spare confusion...

5) I actually completely care but you stated you "didnt receive the hardware weeks/months ago but never called or brought it to our attention and had to go down and get bolts for them etc". did you even look as to when i bought them? or when i got them on the porch? lol... If you would of called us when received to let us know there was a problem, I would have let you know header bolts to cylinder head arent included with them (and nowhere is it listed they are nowhere is it listed there not either... and most ive purchased in the past have came with... but this i dont care that much about since mine were fine...) . The baggy that has the exhaust header collector gaskets (which you stated you received) also contains the other hardware included with the headers. i personally told you guys i did not get any hardware and on top of that i listed every single piece of hardware i did not get and that i had to go buy it...

We fully offered to see if we could warranty or replace them if there was a problem with them. All that was needed was return of the product for inspection. You declined to return the product. I am not sure what else I could do for you if you cannot return the items. send a replacement... ill install it... and send you back your bad product... ive done this countless times as this is what most companies due... in fact i just mailed out a HID bulb today because it was bad when i got it... sent it right back in the box the new one came in... no problems at all... and that was just off a random eBay seller... i stated the exhaust is in my truck... you CAN NOT tell it doesnt fit unless its in the dang truck... in order to get MOST exhaust systems out of a truck it ends up taking some cutting... most studs or nuts after years of heat will not break free... heck i stripped mine with a 6 point socket! so how am i suppose to install a cut out exhaust to mail this off for a minimum of "2 weeks" i DD it... i told you this...

True customer service would have made something happen in order to make the customer happy in a fair manner (and sometimes not so fare for the company in order to keep a good rep (prior business owner myself))... im not happy... i even offered to buy a better/different product of headers from you and send these back... OUT OF MY POCKET until you received these and refunded the $300... even that wasnt good enough... and im the customer...

Jim @ CalSpeed & Performance (Owner)
Old 06-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading all of this-I side with Jim. You bought cheap headers. Everyone knows that header gaskets and hardware are crap. Either use stock or buy felpro gaskets and stage 8 bolts and also buy nice band clamps. Sounds like Jim went thru the motions. Everything has a process and this is no different.

I say cut your losses, buy pacesetter headers, felpro gaskets, stage 8 locking fasteners, and good bandclamps and be done
Old 06-09-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

or buy headers from your $10 HID guy.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTruk
After reading all of this-I side with Jim. You bought cheap headers. Everyone knows that header gaskets and hardware are crap. Either use stock or buy felpro gaskets and stage 8 bolts and also buy nice band clamps. Sounds like Jim went thru the motions. Everything has a process and this is no different.

I say cut your losses, buy pacesetter headers, felpro gaskets, stage 8 locking fasteners, and good bandclamps and be done
I agree 100%...nit pick, demanding customers like you would make me not want to be Jim...I am sure he sells these more as a service, than to make a huge profit. And I have NEVER heard of a $300+ item being sent to a customer without first receiving the old one back for warranty..Buy a quality set of headers if you want a good fit..or research a little better next time, as Jim knows MOST of his clientel know what they are buying..
Originally Posted by blueflamed03
or buy headers from your $10 HID guy.
LOL..comparing a $5 bulb to a $300 set of headers..wow
Old 06-09-2011, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

cheap or expensive headers... doesnt matter... they still didnt fit as advertised... i dont care as much about the hardware or gaskets... i care about the fact that they dont fit... $300 is cheap for headers... but its not like a $5 sticker that doesnt work so you just toss it and cut your losses... $300 is still a lot of money... if you want to just throw it away then by all means toss it this direction... i wouldnt have started a thread or even called them if it was just about the hardware... thats just the small stuff i mentioned while i was hitting on the big issue... the headers arnt worth even $300 if they dont fit in the first place...
Old 06-10-2011, 12:17 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If these headers do not fit properly, as you describe, it's much more likely a problem with the truck than the headers. If you did your research as you said, then you should already be aware of this also. You could have worn out motor mounts, or worse. How new or old is this truck? Has it ever been in an accident?

Have you ever modified or "hot-rodded" a vehicle in the past? So called "bolt-on" parts often need minor tweaks or modification to work on EVERY vehicle out there. That's just the way it is. Also, $300 for any worthwhile performance mod is CHEAP, contrary to your previous post. If you can't handle that, then you're in the wrong game, sir.

Quick Reply: calspeed... crap experiance...