THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

can a cop get me the next day for this??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't it true they have 24 hours?
Old 08-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1 DREAMING
Isn't it true they have 24 hours?
How are they going to prove it was you?
Old 08-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its called exhibition of acceleration in my town, and he can get you for it and probably will if its a a-hole cop.

probably wont lose your license unless you go to court and the judge dont like you
Old 08-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Where's the Beef?

Originally Posted by motormanimatt
if am 16 do i loose my licence, and how big is the ticket
It depends on your local laws and what he wants to write you up on.
In cali if your caught racing you lose your license and they crush your car. He can say you were racing and go by what the law calls for in your area.

I wouldn't worry about anything because you obviously loaned your truck to a friend to go pick up some food.

Lose
Old 08-16-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you didn't spin your tires and you didn't break the speed limit, then it would be VERY hard for him to prove anything-just take it to court and it will be dropped. Most likely, if he didn't pull you over that night, then you are ok.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sureshot
If you didn't spin your tires and you didn't break the speed limit, then it would be VERY hard for him to prove anything-just take it to court and it will be dropped. Most likely, if he didn't pull you over that night, then you are ok.
Cops like to use the "I've been doing this a long time and am very good at estimating speed" excuse. Which in reality I'm sure they're usually right most of the time anyways. He could've easily just written him unsafe or wreckless driving ticket which requires hardly any evidence at all and is hard to fight.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Cops like to use the "I've been doing this a long time and am very good at estimating speed" excuse. Which in reality I'm sure they're usually right most of the time anyways. He could've easily just written him unsafe or wreckless driving ticket which requires hardly any evidence at all and is hard to fight.
True, but if he didn't spin his tires, there is no set law for accelerating from 0-40 if he never breaks the speed limit. And if the cop didn't pull him over that night, then he is most likely safe anyway.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

True, but if he didn't spin his tires, there is no set law for accelerating from 0-40 if he never breaks the speed limit. And if the cop didn't pull him over that night, then he is most likely safe anyway.
wrong! i got a ticket for excessive acceleration and i was doing 60 with a v6 in my truck... im sure they can give u reckless driving at their discretion as well. idk bout if ur safe or not but if he caught u of course ud be screwed.

Last edited by Allstar55566; 08-20-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Where's the Beef?

The only thing right about that statement is the second sentence. You must accelerate in a manner deemed to be safe. Otherwise you could legally drag race between lights as long as you don't go over the speed limit.
Accelerating fast is considered wreck less driving, excessive acceleration, Public display of acceleration or whatever he wants to call it that costs the most.
You CAN lose control of a vehicle from accelerating too quickly or someone pull out infront of you cuz they saw you just pull out. This is an Unsafe manner of driving and is Illegal.

Matt. What state are you from? Your question is very dependent on your local laws and we don't know where your from
Old 08-17-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I understand it if he loses sight of you, you're in the clear. For instance...let's say you go over a hill and he's going the other way, then you get to a light and make a right before he catches up to you. He pulls you over and then you can say, "Oh, that other blue Silverado? He just passed me going like a bat out of hell in that direction....I hope you catch him!!"

Quick Reply: can a cop get me the next day for this??