THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

can a cop get me the next day for this??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:45 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol. I've thought of that.
There actually is another red truck just like mine that I see from time to time with the same wheels but has a roll pan instead of a bumper. He got stopped once and i was about 1/4-1/2 mile behind him laughing cuz a car had flashed their High beams to let everyone know to slow down and he didn't.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude, you are going to jail and lose your license for 2 years. Better clean off those heelies.

Honestly, I have no idea and wanted to mess with you.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

To answer your question, unless the laws are different where you live, no he cannot give you a ticket the next day, so you are fine. But if he had caught up to you that night and you had spun your tires, then according you California law, it is a two point ticket and he has the authority to tow your truck and call your parents to come get you since you are a minor. If you were over the age of 18, you could be arrested for this offense. Its a misdemeanor in Cali. I know you live outside of Cali, but this law seems to be very similar state to state. Hope this answers your question.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Question

Originally Posted by viciousknid
The only thing right about that statement is the second sentence. You must accelerate in a manner deemed to be safe. Otherwise you could legally drag race between lights as long as you don't go over the speed limit.
Accelerating fast is considered wreck less driving, excessive acceleration, Public display of acceleration or whatever he wants to call it that costs the most.
You CAN lose control of a vehicle from accelerating too quickly or someone pull out infront of you cuz they saw you just pull out. This is an Unsafe manner of driving and is Illegal.

Matt. What state are you from? Your question is very dependent on your local laws and we don't know where your from
Alright, so what is considered "accelerating in a manner deemed to be safe"? And if they want to hand out tickets for said offense in instances where there was no spinning of tires, where is the Accelerometer in my vehicle, as well as on the officer's radar gun, or is there eyesight calibrated for rate of acceleration?

And someone pulling out in front of you because you just pulled out in the road would not cause you to be at fault in an accident. Example: you pull out at a safe distance from traffic, but need to accelerate quickly to match the traffics speed. Some one sees that you just pulled out and doesn't judge rate of acceleration correctly, consequently they pull out and you hit them in the SIDE (not rear), they would be at fault!
Old 08-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ForcedTQ
or is there eyesight calibrated for rate of acceleration?
In a judges eyes, yes it is.

You have to remember that although cops are dicks a lot of the time, they have seen a lot and usually their experience as a cop plays a heavy role in the court room (if you fight it). They will always pick a cops word over yours unless you have a damn good lawyer. But in those cases it would be cheaper just to pay the ticket.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
In a judges eyes, yes it is.

You have to remember that although cops are dicks a lot of the time, they have seen a lot and usually their experience as a cop plays a heavy role in the court room (if you fight it). They will always pick a cops word over yours unless you have a damn good lawyer. But in those cases it would be cheaper just to pay the ticket.
That is exactly right, police are considered "experts on speed" by the courts - just as a Ph.D. psychologist would be considered an 'expert' in human behavior, or a practicing optical surgeon would be considered an expert in human vision.

Unless you come up with solid science to refute the officer's point of view, you will end up paying.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

...and I am an expert at **** talking...dude, you are going to jail.

When I was is highschool I drove the only primer gray 67 longbed pickup in town. Apparently I spun my tire (note - singular tense) leaving the school. Someone called the cops. Fast forward 3 days, my friends father, who was active in the fire department and had a police scanner asks me why "the cops are looking for me". I was like WTF...I didn't do anything!!! But then he described the supposed "incedent of tire squealage" and I was like...that sounds like me.

Lesson...sell your truck or move. I had to sell mine, they wouldn't leave me alone. Sucks, I liked that truck.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ForcedTQ
Alright, so what is considered "accelerating in a manner deemed to be safe"? And if they want to hand out tickets for said offense in instances where there was no spinning of tires, where is the Accelerometer in my vehicle, as well as on the officer's radar gun, or is there eyesight calibrated for rate of acceleration?
if am 16 do i loose my licence, and how big is the ticket
these 2 quotes go together. You're trying to argue something you don't like because your 16. You can look at an object and tell if it's speeding up. If you don't believe me go stand out by a road and watch cars take off and tell me if you can tell 1 is accelerating faster than another. When an object is accelerating way too fast it is unsafe.

And someone pulling out in front of you because you just pulled out in the road would not cause you to be at fault in an accident. Example: you pull out at a safe distance from traffic, but need to accelerate quickly to match the traffics speed. Some one sees that you just pulled out and doesn't judge rate of acceleration correctly, consequently they pull out and you hit them in the SIDE (not rear), they would be at fault!
You would both be at fault if the cop saw how fast you took off. How can you pull out a safe distance from traffic and still need to go faster to match their speed? they are already safely behind you. Someone infront of you can't tell how quickly you are accelerating. that is something that is best judged from a side view. They see you just pulling out and to them you are not going very fast and by law you shouldn't be very fast so quickly for that reason.

Stop arguing about it just because you don't want it to be true. YOUR SAFE in the current scenario but YES accelerating too fast is illegal. You can argue all you want it is STILL illegal. Get the ticket tell the judge, pay the fine, get mad, its STILL Illegal. no matter how much you want to argue about it.

Don't believe me? Go find a cop and take off real fast in front of him. Argue it with him. Come back and let us know how it goes.

This is why insurance rates go down when your 25. When your 16 you try to argue about things that you don't like and break laws because you think it's stupid or can't comprehend the safety behind it.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb No need to get heated

Originally Posted by viciousknid
these 2 quotes go together. You're trying to argue something you don't like because your 16. You can look at an object and tell if it's speeding up. If you don't believe me go stand out by a road and watch cars take off and tell me if you can tell 1 is accelerating faster than another. When an object is accelerating way too fast it is unsafe.

You would both be at fault if the cop saw how fast you took off. How can you pull out a safe distance from traffic and still need to go faster to match their speed? they are already safely behind you. Someone infront of you can't tell how quickly you are accelerating. that is something that is best judged from a side view. They see you just pulling out and to them you are not going very fast and by law you shouldn't be very fast so quickly for that reason.

Stop arguing about it just because you don't want it to be true. YOUR SAFE in the current scenario but YES accelerating too fast is illegal. You can argue all you want it is STILL illegal. Get the ticket tell the judge, pay the fine, get mad, its STILL Illegal. no matter how much you want to argue about it.

Don't believe me? Go find a cop and take off real fast in front of him. Argue it with him. Come back and let us know how it goes.

This is why insurance rates go down when your 25. When your 16 you try to argue about things that you don't like and break laws because you think it's stupid or can't comprehend the safety behind it.
Hey, hold on here, I'm not trying to argue about this. If you re-read my post I was asking a question, albeit slightly loaded, about how a L.E.O. would determine rate of acceleration to be in excess of what is allowed. As well as, what is the actual rate of acceleration that is allowed. Pure question, requesting an answer for my benefit, so that I will have an idea of what is legal as I have not actually heard of this being carried out before. I understand street racing = ticket, exhibition of speed (thought it was primarily acceleration WITH loosing traction (barking tires)) = ticket, and of course reckless driving = ticket. Also, I am not a 16 year-old out driving around town accelerating as quickly as my truck will allow from every stopsign/light. I have honestly just never heard of someone being ticketed because the L.E.O. believed he was accelerating to quickly.

Don't get me mixed up with the O.P. or anyone trying to fly his argument, I am not trying to argue his point.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

well its been over a day, i wonder if he got arrested, or possibly killed.

Quick Reply: can a cop get me the next day for this??