THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Car Salesman...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally did this for 8 years, there is great money in it for sure..... but just remember. Be honest, if ya don't know the price, find out. If they tell ya they just need a cheap car, then show them what you have that is affordable in their price range! If you sell that customer a 3k dollar beater, then they get a job as a doctor 5 years later, if you made a effort to treat them with respect and show them you care about your career.... they will come back to you!

The only problem is, car dealers in the area here, will hire you and train you, then sell your close family and friends and then when you are done they will boot you! Just the cold hard facts of the way this works..... Remember every person you talk to is a prospect, keep cards with you but don't push yourself on them.....

Know your inventory (this is the largest mistake of a rookie salesman) You can make or break your career here, If you know what you have on the lot then you can show your customer what you have to offer them! By not wasting their time walking around the lot and saying things like " well we had this" or "we can find that for you"! Be aware of what the want/need and present the product to them!

There are so many things i could say about how to perform and excel as a car salesman/manager. I chose to get out of the car business not because I didn't like it but because the economy affected my paycheck!
Old 09-15-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lownslo06
I personally did this for 8 years, there is great money in it for sure..... but just remember. Be honest, if ya don't know the price, find out. If they tell ya they just need a cheap car, then show them what you have that is affordable in their price range! If you sell that customer a 3k dollar beater, then they get a job as a doctor 5 years later, if you made a effort to treat them with respect and show them you care about your career.... they will come back to you!

The only problem is, car dealers in the area here, will hire you and train you, then sell your close family and friends and then when you are done they will boot you! Just the cold hard facts of the way this works..... Remember every person you talk to is a prospect, keep cards with you but don't push yourself on them.....

Know your inventory (this is the largest mistake of a rookie salesman) You can make or break your career here, If you know what you have on the lot then you can show your customer what you have to offer them! By not wasting their time walking around the lot and saying things like " well we had this" or "we can find that for you"! Be aware of what the want/need and present the product to them!

There are so many things i could say about how to perform and excel as a car salesman/manager. I chose to get out of the car business not because I didn't like it but because the economy affected my paycheck!
True...we did it together and it was a learning experience
The reason turnover is so high in these jobs is bc the managers get the new salesman to sell to their friends/family that think they are getting good deals...once the family and friends are sold to...at BIG dealerships the salesman gets cut..They always have one coming..one training..and one on the down side about to be cut..(thats not in all situations tho, just some big chains)
Old 09-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lownslo06

Thanks for the info y'all. I went to the dealership today and picked up some brochures of all the vehicles, new anyway, so I can study them. I like the salesmen that doesn't have to look at the sticker on the window everytime you ask a question. I do know some mechanics
of the basic vehicles so I know that will help. Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Your already way ahead being a truck enthusiast yourself.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Teching In

I GOT THE JOB Y'ALL!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:24 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

GOOD. i guess ill go test drive some cars tomorrow then !!!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BayouVortec
I GOT THE JOB Y'ALL!!!!!!!!!
Congrats!! Good luck with everything. Like someone else posted...Your way ahead of the average salesman due to your love of vehicles already!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Been through training and ready to rock and roll! Anyone wanna come and look at some trucks?
Old 10-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the job! I would look at some trucks, but I'm all the way in Cali. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:50 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Car Salesman...