THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

cash for clunkers, guess who sold the most.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Tribe Shaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cash for clunkers, guess who sold the most.

Quick Stats: Who Benefitted From Cash for Clunkers?

Nearly 700,000 Cars Sold During $3 Billion Program

by Reilly Brennan

Posted: Aug, 28 2009
Print | Email More

Text Size A A A

The popular Cash for Clunkers program (aka CARS, or Car Allowance Rebate System) ended on Monday night. With nearly 700,000 clunkers taken off the road, the program could be called the most impactful automotive sale of all time. Rebate applications worth $2.877 billion were submitted, just under the $3 billion provided by Congress to run the program.
The Department of Transportation recently released statistics about Cash For Clunkers, showing which segments of the market saw the greatest interest:
  • Total Dealer Transactions: 690,114
  • $ Value of Submitted Dealer Transactions: $2,877,900<LI sizset="95" sizcache="0">Top Vehicle Purchased: Toyota Corolla <LI sizset="96" sizcache="0">Top Trade-In Vehicle: Ford Explorer <LI sizset="97" sizcache="0">Top New Manufacturer Purchased: Toyota
  • New-Vehicle Mileage: 24.9 MPG
  • Trade-In Mileage: 15.8 MPG (Overall increase of 9.2 MPG, or 58% improvement)

if i had to guess, toyota made out like a bandit with 2 billion of this countrys money.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL thats fukin wonderfull
Old 08-30-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its not as bad as you think we build toyota's at the nummi plant here in ca.Thousands of people here count on toyota for jobs.Infact GM pulled out of building cars there but toyota stayed saving us from a huge impact on our already spiraling down unemployment rate.The program probably helped toyota's decision to stay.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
Its not as bad as you think we build toyota's at the nummi plant here in ca.Thousands of people here count on toyota for jobs.Infact GM pulled out of building cars there but toyota stayed saving us from a huge impact on our already spiraling down unemployment rate.The program probably helped toyota's decision to stay.
i agree for the most part, theres a honda and subaru plant around here, and a hvac honda assembly place here that i worked at recently. they all employ alot of people here. while gm and chrysler are pretty much gone. with that being said all the car lots i drive by recently are bare due to the "cars" program, so it benefited all manufactuers..
Old 08-30-2009, 07:36 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

what do you think is going to happen to the car companies now that the clunker program is over. Car sales are going to plummet
Old 08-30-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Bet you there would have been more car sales if they offered 0% financing on "Green" vehicles. Most of us DON'T want a note.... I don't.

I still can't believe someone traded in a Vette. I watched that damn you-tube vid and really got upset.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Launching!

I was at the Toyota dealership in Katy yesterday and there were some nice cars with clunker written all over them. Mid 90's 4runner, a couple Mercedes suv's, a Lexus ls400 old body style but still a nice car. Lots of cars that I would not consider a "clunker" and I could've told you Toyota sold more than anybody else. You can just tell when you drive by their lots they have more cars lined up than anybody else. Anyone know how they're going to dispose of the 700,000 cars people traded in?
Old 08-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well they've told us we have to drain the fluids and fill the motors and transmissions with a poly type resin chemical and run them till they lock up, then send them to the crusher. Its a sad way to go for some damn nice older trucks and SUVs. We've got some as new as 02s... Its really a damn shame.

The people who own the real "clunkers" still won't be able to afford a new vehicle even with the $4500 handout... So what did it really accomplish besides kicking the auto repair business in the sack for the next few years? And on top of that we've got probably 35-40 sitting on the property that we've been told we won't see a dime of govt payment for, for another 18-24 months... Our owner has already said not to destroy so much as an old tire until he sees a check... I can't say I blame him...

Out of that $3B, anyone know how much has ACTUALLY been paid out into the dealer's hands?? Ill give ya a hint, it doesn't have near as many zeros....
Old 08-30-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CFC is such a bullshit program. It's whole objective is to stimulate the AMERICAN economy, right!? Why the F do they include the japs and euro's in on the deal?! This should have been for GM, FORD and Chrysler vehicles ONLY. Anything else should have been excluded. Now everyone traded in their american cars for toyotas or honda's. Such total BS. These are the same monkeys that want to run your healthcare. Buckle in.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
You might want to check the news on that Nummi plant. Toyota is abandoning it as well.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...s-nummi-plant/

Quick Reply: cash for clunkers, guess who sold the most.