THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

cash for clunkers, guess who sold the most.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
True. Likewise Clinto was credited with a strong economy when actually it was the Reagan administration.... just my opinion

I also agree with this statement. Japan taxes imported goods to the point that they are not affordable in comparison to their own domestic products.
I find that hard to believe?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BLACKOUTSSS
Its not the gov'ts fault that the housing market crashed, its mainly due to greed and lack of business morals on behalf of the banks and finance companies.
I am not disagreeing with you completely, but that's not totally true. It is the government's fault to some degree. They had policy during the Clinton Admin that kept banks at bay (yeah yeah yeah, but for this topic they did) and made them accountable to some degree. Then congress passed a couple important laws near the end of Clinton's reign that let banks do what they did, starting with mixing full blown investing with banking. Then the government is definitely at fault for allowing Fannie Mae and the other numbskull bundle all those bad loans. AND THEN the knife in the chest, Alan Greenspan told the Congress and the President time and time again the bundled loans were perfect. "A great idea and breath of fresh air for spreading risk." When Alan Greenspan spoke everybody listened. There's a lot more to it besides greed. Greed is normal. Greed is like gravity. It's always there and we have to deal with it. It can actually be a good thing if maintained properly and kept in check. Bad policies and poor regulation are in my opinion a big part of it. We are too worried about carbon content of a car in Wisconsin when the freaking Capital building has a coal furnace.

These conversations are so hard to talk about. There are so many cards in the deck that played the hand we have been dealt.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These conversations are so hard to talk about. There are so many cards in the deck that played the hand we have been dealt.
Very true statement!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn i dont know much about politics at all, but my sister sure get her a nissan rogue and my dad got him a silvy ccsb out of the deal.... by the way its there first new car ever, plus his first vehicle that he buys on credit, has always paid cash before but on used trucks $10-15k. i kind of convinced to get it on credit and use the money elsewhere since his buying some land....
Old 09-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Political policies tend to have a 4-12 yr rippled delay effect after being put into use when it comes to money. What we are seeing is honestly before Bush regardless how you look at it. The man might not have been the brightest, but he didnt put up with any **** from anyone else or apologized for it. That is what a Commander in chief of the Military should do IMO. But to each his own.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:14 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonderer876
Political policies tend to have a 4-12 yr rippled delay effect after being put into use when it comes to money. What we are seeing is honestly before Bush regardless how you look at it. The man might not have been the brightest, but he didnt put up with any **** from anyone else or apologized for it. That is what a Commander in chief of the Military should do IMO. But to each his own.
i cant wait to see the ripple effect of whats going on right now
Old 09-08-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
I am not disagreeing with you completely, but that's not totally true. It is the government's fault to some degree. They had policy during the Clinton Admin that kept banks at bay (yeah yeah yeah, but for this topic they did) and made them accountable to some degree. Then congress passed a couple important laws near the end of Clinton's reign that let banks do what they did, starting with mixing full blown investing with banking. Then the government is definitely at fault for allowing Fannie Mae and the other numbskull bundle all those bad loans. AND THEN the knife in the chest, Alan Greenspan told the Congress and the President time and time again the bundled loans were perfect. "A great idea and breath of fresh air for spreading risk." When Alan Greenspan spoke everybody listened. There's a lot more to it besides greed. Greed is normal. Greed is like gravity. It's always there and we have to deal with it. It can actually be a good thing if maintained properly and kept in check. Bad policies and poor regulation are in my opinion a big part of it. We are too worried about carbon content of a car in Wisconsin when the freaking Capital building has a coal furnace.

I'd like to see some hard data involving subprime loans, mortgage failures, etc., and how they come into effect with the Community Reinvestment Act...after Clintons revisions. I've looked into it some. A lot of financial institutions are not regulated by the CRA, some are, and some are lightly regulated. Some top people in Fed Reserve Banks said that CRA regulated mortgage loans had less failure rates than independent non regulated institutions...but the people saying that were democrats iirc I do know Washington/Congress pushed strongly for mortgages for a while.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LMSeven
I'd like to see some hard data involving subprime loans, mortgage failures, etc., and how they come into effect with the Community Reinvestment Act...after Clintons revisions. I've looked into it some. A lot of financial institutions are not regulated by the CRA, some are, and some are lightly regulated. Some top people in Fed Reserve Banks said that CRA regulated mortgage loans had less failure rates than independent non regulated institutions...but the people saying that were democrats iirc I do know Washington/Congress pushed strongly for mortgages for a while.
I get most of my babble from public radio and a local news network radio station. I could never quote anything good like most with links and references. LOL I am just bag of hot air. But I'd love to see regualted vs unregulated failures in the context (data) you speak of. I am guessing anything non-regualted has huge corruption involved. But I am pointing more of a finger at the congress allowing huge banks to have little to no cash backing to their investments. Hell, big banks allowed to invest in full scale. That was always a powder keg. The c4 in all of this was Fannie and the other guy bundling horrible mortgages. Those two are supposed to help balance the credit world with some sort of "requirements" for a loan. That free for all just fueled the bad mortages, cuz let's face it, people will flock to what was once unobtainable. I mean seriously, I can afford a 500K house? Hell where do I sign up? And the banks just kept selling those shitty loans and then investing in a bundle that in the end had loans they wouldn't keep themselves (in a bundle). LOL Yeah...all I know is, commericial construction in the DC area is at a stand still. You want a real stimulus, stop giving money to Road contractors in states other than the ones the fugging work is in.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
I get most of my babble from public radio and a local news network radio station. I could never quote anything good like most with links and references. LOL I am just bag of hot air. But I'd love to see regualted vs unregulated failures in the context (data) you speak of. I am guessing anything non-regualted has huge corruption involved. But I am pointing more of a finger at the congress allowing huge banks to have little to no cash backing to their investments. Hell, big banks allowed to invest in full scale. That was always a powder keg. The c4 in all of this was Fannie and the other guy bundling horrible mortgages. Those two are supposed to help balance the credit world with some sort of "requirements" for a loan. That free for all just fueled the bad mortages, cuz let's face it, people will flock to what was once unobtainable. I mean seriously, I can afford a 500K house? Hell where do I sign up? And the banks just kept selling those shitty loans and then investing in a bundle that in the end had loans they wouldn't keep themselves (in a bundle). LOL Yeah...all I know is, commericial construction in the DC area is at a stand still. You want a real stimulus, stop giving money to Road contractors in states other than the ones the fugging work is in.
The former CEO of Fannie Mae was one person saying that CRA regulated banks were more successful lol...but like I said, everyone I found backing the CRA were either democrats or CEO's of failed financial companies, so their not good or remotely unbiased sources. Lots of smoke and mirrors. Really there are a lot of reasons for the housing crisis: adjustable interest mortgages, high risk loans, mortgage fraud, etc.

I need to do more research on Fannie and Freddy. From what I've read they kinda got the short end of the stick. They specialize in buying mortgage loans (esp high risk/low income mortgages) from financial institutions. They buy those loans so those institutions always have money to lend. They've also been in the govt's pants for a while
Old 09-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LMSeven
The former CEO of Fannie Mae was one person saying that CRA regulated banks were more successful lol...but like I said, everyone I found backing the CRA were either democrats or CEO's of failed financial companies, so their not good or remotely unbiased sources. Lots of smoke and mirrors. Really there are a lot of reasons for the housing crisis: adjustable interest mortgages, high risk loans, mortgage fraud, etc.

I need to do more research on Fannie and Freddy. From what I've read they kinda got the short end of the stick. They specialize in buying mortgage loans (esp high risk/low income mortgages) from financial institutions. They buy those loans so those institutions always have money to lend. They've also been in the govt's pants for a while
Shhhhh Fannie and Freddy have almost always been in the gov't pocket..

Quick Reply: cash for clunkers, guess who sold the most.