THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Check It Out!! Made My Own LED Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check It Out!! Made My Own LED Taillights

So these are my taillights, I smoked them with Nightshades about 6 months ago, but they are DARK, and not much light makes it thru, especially in the day. So I have undertaken installing my own LED system in them. It may look ricer-like, but it shows up GREAT.
Here is what they look like unlit, they're a little dirty

With the flash on the camera

And here is the turn signal on

Reverse

I DO NOT like the Brake light...the strips I use come in ONE length, and it is too short to fill the lens, and too long to fit two...I don't know what I'm gonna do with it yet.

Here the CHEAP conectors I used, just drilled a hole and used GOOP to seal them up. Spliced the other conectors into the light system
Old 10-26-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As cool as they look, I think smoked taillights are a disaster waiting to happen. Don't you ever worry about being rear-ended?
Old 10-26-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hirdlej
As cool as they look, I think smoked taillights are a disaster waiting to happen. Don't you ever worry about being rear-ended?
I was, a little, but not now...these things are BRIGHT, they are only runnin on a 5 volt phone charger in these pics, they are much brighter on 12 volts
Old 10-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My tinted tail lights work just fine in the day and night. They look just as bright as factory IMO
Old 10-26-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
My tinted tail lights work just fine in the day and night. They look just as bright as factory IMO
HUH, really????? Mine are DIM in the day. VERY DIM!!
Old 10-26-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hirdlej
lol i need to take my pictures of my truck in the day there as black as my truck
Old 10-27-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen some that are so dim they can't be seen, and some that aren't bad at all. The cheap stick ons from jcwhitney suck imo.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

Well I had no clue mine were so dim till I rode behind it, AND smoked lenses are actually ILLEGAL here, so the more I can make them show up, the better off I am!
Old 10-27-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

Its 2 in the morning, and I just sanded the light in the pic and put more Nightshades, re-cleared it...ALOT. So how can I give it that awesome shiny coat? I use a rattle can, FYI, and I don't have a buffer. Can I just sand it with some 1600 and wax it really good?? Thats what I did before, but I didn't have that much clear on it.

And If anyone wants to know how to do the LED mod, just PM me or somethin. I'm sure it would look awesome on NON smoked lights also.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:59 AM
TECH Addict

If your going to sand them you need to buff them, unless you want a flat black look.
I would work up to 2000/2500, then hit them up with one of the plasticX kits with the drill buffer

Quick Reply: Check It Out!! Made My Own LED Taillights