THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Check It Out!! Made My Own LED Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reverse lights look fine since they're so bright. I HATE your brake lights since you can see the strand of LEDs. Make a cluster or line the entire surface. It looks like total IMO. Just being honest.

however about tinting them, I have seen best results with a professional shop doing it. For whatever reason the nightshades BS is some sort of paint that doesnt allow light to come through. Get them professionally done and stop chasing your *** with it
Old 11-08-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
the reverse lights look fine since they're so bright. I HATE your brake lights since you can see the strand of LEDs. Make a cluster or line the entire surface. It looks like total IMO. Just being honest.

however about tinting them, I have seen best results with a professional shop doing it. For whatever reason the nightshades BS is some sort of paint that doesnt allow light to come through. Get them professionally done and stop chasing your *** with it
Like I said, I hate the brake lights also. Im changing them
Old 12-06-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I have never used this "Nightshades" stuff before, but it sounds like flat black paint to me. Garbage!!! I used to work in the paint world. The only good way to tint you're lens is to mix a little black paint in with the clear coat. The more coats the darker it gets. This is why you're painter guy wanted $50 a set. Not bad. Go out and try to buy the black paint, clear, hardener, reducer and proper spray equiptment for $50. Sounds like you would be ahead buy know if you count you're time. As far as LED's go one of the cheapest places I have found in besthongkong.com
Old 12-06-2009, 11:53 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AkPirate
Hello. I have never used this "Nightshades" stuff before, but it sounds like flat black paint to me. Garbage!!! I used to work in the paint world. The only good way to tint you're lens is to mix a little black paint in with the clear coat. The more coats the darker it gets. This is why you're painter guy wanted $50 a set. Not bad. Go out and try to buy the black paint, clear, hardener, reducer and proper spray equiptment for $50. Sounds like you would be ahead buy know if you count you're time. As far as LED's go one of the cheapest places I have found in besthongkong.com
Nightshades is a product by VHT. It isn't flat black paint, it is a translucent black. I have three light coats on mine (and about 12 coats of clear), and the red is still visible.

They look the same as they did a year and a half ago. If that's "garbage", the, I guess I'm perfectly happy with having "garbage" on my truck.