THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Christmas in near! I am excited for my kids.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always wanted a nitro vehicle. however going to races with my friend who competes in electric and nitro.... hands down I'll buy electric.

Fraction of maintenance
cheaper to run in long run
chassis stays cleaner
more consistency
Old 11-08-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

I used to be big into RC. Super Blackfoot with thurp diff, custom built motor, heavy duty springs, I had to order a metal skid plate for the diff because I kept jumping it and breaking the diff housing. I had a HPI RS4 M/T that I tweaked. It was fun. I had 2 nitro HPI RS4 touring car whatevers.

I still have a regular blackfoot, and a Tamiya Subaru brat. Both with Thorp diffs. I have had them out in YEARS.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Electric is a hobby and fun.

Nitro is a full time job from hell. Constant tuning, regularly buying fuel, and for me just complete misery! I have know some guys who loved there nitrous currently they are out of the hobby and both will probably go electric if/when the buy another truck.

Everyone has there own views but I can't understand at all why anyone would want a nitro. So expensive and dirty beyond all the other negatives.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

I had to store my cars in my house. No garage, and no outside storage. So now I have a stinky nitro burning car in my house. I drained the fuel and cleaned it up the best I could, but still had to live with the smell.

I took my 2 nitro rs4 touring cars in along with the super blackfoot and traded it for the RS4 MT with 2 spd transmission and disc brake like the nitro cars. I loved that thing. I sold it for more money then I had invested in it (was given one of the nitro cars, and got the other on sale).
Old 11-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Bought my son the max-d version last year for Christmas. Burned up two of the stock motors and an aftermarket. He's getting a brushless system this year. I have a t-maxx 2.5 with a grave digger body and a 3.3. Had to upgrade to steel drive axles and now needs steel drive shafts. Yes, I drive the **** out of it. It also needs a new throttle linkage. It broke when it landed on its top from 15' in the air. Lol! They are lots of fun. Your son is going to love it.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I'm on the other side of the fence, Ive been around both the Nitro and the lipo/brushless and I LOVE the Brushless way more... Faster, quieter and ALWAYS starts!!! But they are all fun. When I go play, I usually take 2 or three of my cars and a half dozen or so battery packs and I'm usually tired or bored of playing by the time I run them all down a couple hours later, I think I actual have more fun watching my friends play with them then when I play with them,
For the most part, nitro can't touch a nice bl setup for crazy power. The sound, smell, and look of nitro are cool. And tuning (especially savage/maxx half tank lean) seperate the men from the boys My sc10 bl rtr is a turd on 8.4v unfortunately. Any one want an sc10 with maybe three runs on it and an unused esc under warranty
Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You think tuning nitro is hard you should try tuning a reed motor. lol I have a fully built 29.5cc reed motor in my baja and its a pain to get right