THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Clearcoat problems on my 09 civic

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clearcoat problems on my 09 civic

Ive done some google searches and it seems Honda has horrible paint quality. I really wish I wouldve known this before buying my wife her car. Its an 09 si sedan with only 60K on it and the paint is getting worse by the month. From my searching it seems Honda doesnt care and youre just screwed. There are literally hundreds of threads through various forums about Hondas shitty paint, even a class action lawsuit but its only up to 07s. Has anyone else had to deal with this? The car has been parked outside its whole life but never under trees or anything that could damage the paint. Im really disappointed in the paint quality. I was using a pressure washer on the car after a trip to the beach and peeled a quarter sized chunk of paint off the mirror Im guessing from a bug or rock chip and it just bubbled. I wasnt holding the nozzle too close and the pressure washer I use for the vehicles is only rated for 1700psi with a 0* nozzle and I was using the 30*. Ive never had a problem on any other vehicle using it. Anyway on to the pics
Name:  IMAG0892.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  146.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0891.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  125.9 KB
This is just unacceptable to me for such a new car but it seems Im stuck with the bill unless anyone knows anything different.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a guy with a 2010, withing months of leaving the showroom the roof started peeling in spots. Dealer denied warranty saying it was rock chips on the roof lol
Old 09-10-2012, 08:57 AM

Yep, Honda paint I'm learning is horrible and the dealers are even worse. There was one account I read of a guy with a 3 month old accord that he was waxing the rear bumper and a strip of paint came off. It's pretty chicken **** for sure.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thanks for the bad news my wife has a 2010 Civic. I guess I should wax it and keep it in the garage if I want it to last.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know a girl with an '07 accord with paint problems like that. Headlights are completely oxidized as well. Pretty bad for such a late model car.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will admit I like my 06 civic coupe mt I get about 38mpg. But after having to deal with Honda on the rear control ARM update really has left a sour taste in my mouth. Even after getting the updated ones installed I am still having the same uneven tire wear and loud tire noise. Also the headlights are all chalked up..
Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by redaddiction
Well thanks for the bad news my wife has a 2010 Civic. I guess I should wax it and keep it in the garage if I want it to last.
The problem is most prevalent on black, blue and red. The problem lies in the thin and soft clear coat. So basically its an easy hand wax deal, I would not use a buffer. Keeping the paint clean at all times and in the garage will help a lot.
Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx
I know a girl with an '07 accord with paint problems like that. Headlights are completely oxidized as well. Pretty bad for such a late model car.
Yeah, pretty damn shitty. If I would've known about this I wouldn't have bought it. If it wasn't for the fact it has an unlimited mileage/time warranty on the powertrain this thing would be getting patched up and traded in.
Originally Posted by WhiteChevy3
I will admit I like my 06 civic coupe mt I get about 38mpg. But after having to deal with Honda on the rear control ARM update really has left a sour taste in my mouth. Even after getting the updated ones installed I am still having the same uneven tire wear and loud tire noise. Also the headlights are all chalked up..
We've also been fighting a tire balancing issue for months, just can't seem to get it lined out. Alignment is good, new wheels and tires, balanced multiple times and still can't get it right.

Really been thinking hard about trading it for a 335i or G8 but the gas mileage and warranty its got is nice and its almost paid off...
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

1 more reason to buy Toyota
Old 09-11-2012, 09:07 AM

The only one I'd be interested in is a loaded camry hybrid and that would be an additional 15k over what I could get for hers. Maybe once my truck is paid off but I'm looking forward to getting rid of the vehicle payments for a while. When we are ready to get her something new I'll definitely be getting in contact with you
Old 09-11-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy a Toyota? What Toyota can u buy for around 10k and get 38mpg? I paid 10 for my 06 civic....

Quick Reply: Clearcoat problems on my 09 civic