THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

This is creepy.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:37 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default This is creepy.

Robots that can feed on dead bodies? Really?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...est=latestnews

It could be a combination of 19th-century mechanics, 21st-century technology — and a 20th-century horror movie.

A Maryland company under contract to the Pentagon is working on a steam-powered robot that would fuel itself by gobbling up whatever organic material it can find — grass, wood, old furniture, even dead bodies.

Robotic Technology Inc.'s Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot — that's right, "EATR" — "can find, ingest, and extract energy from biomass in the environment (and other organically-based energy sources), as well as use conventional and alternative fuels (such as gasoline, heavy fuel, kerosene, diesel, propane, coal, cooking oil, and solar) when suitable," reads the company's Web site.

That "biomass" and "other organically-based energy sources" wouldn't necessarily be limited to plant material — animal and human corpses contain plenty of energy, and they'd be plentiful in a war zone.

EATR will be powered by the Waste Heat Engine developed by Cyclone Power Technology of Pompano Beach, Fla., which uses an "external combustion chamber" burning up fuel to heat up water in a closed loop, generating electricity.

The advantages to the military are that the robot would be extremely flexible in fuel sources and could roam on its own for months, even years, without having to be refueled or serviced.

Upon the EATR platform, the Pentagon could build all sorts of things — a transport, an ambulance, a communications center, even a mobile gunship.

In press materials, Robotic Technology presents EATR as an essentially benign artificial creature that fills its belly through "foraging," despite the obvious military purpose.

Last edited by thunder550; 07-14-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:43 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Combine the MATRIX with the TERMINATOR and imagine the scenario. Doesn't look good for the human race.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:44 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i wouldn't want to be locked in a room with one of them.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

too far
Old 07-14-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A ambulance really?
Talk about a wolf in sheeps clothing.
"Hey guys there here to pick us up and go to the hospital"
As Charlie Murphy would say "wrong.....WRONG"
Old 07-14-2009, 06:06 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
A ambulance really?
Talk about a wolf in sheeps clothing.
"Hey guys there here to pick us up and go to the hospital"
As Charlie Murphy would say "wrong.....WRONG"
That's the genius of it...someone dies on the way to the hospital, just feed em to the ambulance Should be some motivation there to not die.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya if I ever got injured in battle (say shot in the leg)The ambulance would show up then I would call friendly fire shoot my partner in the head use him for fuel on the way to the hospital.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 PM
I hate my cats

That's friggin sick. But also pretty rad! Wonder if they can make this technology work on the farm! I wouldn't have to spray glyphosate to burn down weeds first thing in the spring, I'd just send the EATR out and sumbitch would come back fully charged! Really hope it never gets used for military purposes though. Indignation to a human body is very disturbing.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:30 AM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!

Originally Posted by trever1t
Combine the MATRIX with the TERMINATOR and imagine the scenario. Doesn't look good for the human race.
thats what I was thinking.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:25 AM
Tribe Shaman

for some reason i see the greenies protesting while the naacp steps out of the way.

Quick Reply: This is creepy.