THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Dad gave me a four wheeler

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dad gave me a four wheeler

My dad owns a cycle/atv shop and a customer gave him a 98 Polaris xplorer 400 4x4 for payment on working on another four wheeler of his. He said the motor was locked up. Anyway, I broke it down in the shop and found out that the rings had just stuck in the piston. The head was as smooth as a new one and the piston wasn't messed up. I know it has been worked on before because the bore and piston are larger than stock. It looks like either the wrong rings were used or it might have gotten hot and stuck the rings. Either way, I got a new piston and rings that are going in tonight and it should be good to go.

Anyway, back to my question....anybody have any experiences with the 400 2-stroke in a polaris? The plastic is in good condition, along with the chains, sprockets, bearings, etc. I hear these things are pretty quick. I'm basically going to use it for a good trail machine and I'll have about $40 in it plus maybe a new set of tires/wheels. Any good/bad feedback on it?

If it runs good, I'm going to start doing some fixing up on it cosmetic wise. Should turn out to be a good deal.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Our friends had one they left it our house to get it running cause it was sitting for awhile,we got it going with fresh gas and a new plug,it was FAST! i had a 350 honda rancher and that polaris would blow me away big time! If i remember it was water cooled and had that oil premix on it.But it was fun, it wasnt ours so we rode the hell out of it put more miles on it than our friends did!
Old 07-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Sexy Party Mod

I have a 250 trail boss that i used to beat the **** out of. It was quick. My gpa has a 400 sportsman and it fouls plugs like crazy. He drives it like a grandpa but its meant to be run WIDE OPEN! Just use the recommended oil stuff as it mixes it automatically and put some 89octane or higher in it. Its gonna be a running sumbitch.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Launching!

These quads are pretty cool and quick to. Just dont get them in the creek .The belts slip and you wont go anywhere. lol
Old 07-11-2007, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

two strokes dont run good unless your giving them hell atleast that was what my blaster was like.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Man I wish I could get a deal on an atv like that...
Should be a running beast. Sounds like fun.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

spray it
Old 07-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
spray it

i drove the same 4wheeler you got there...it's pretty quick for what she is. I had some friends awhile back that had 2 of them.

Originally Posted by 07 z71 silverado
two strokes dont run good unless your giving them hell atleast that was what my blaster was like.
man now that's a fun quad. lightweight.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they're pretty fast and fun . . . . but they do not like deep water at all.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like its going to be a fun quad to play with. I've owned 2 warriors in the past(the 88 had a big bore kit, pipe, etc and the 97 was stock). Both of those were a blast to drive around in the sand pits and wood trails on. I'm really looking forward to modding this one out for the trail.

Well, installed the piston last night, bolted everthing back on, and pulled the rope twice.....it fired right up and sounded perfect. The book says with this size piston, output should be somewhere in the 40hp range. I still have to put in another starter drive for the electric start, but other than that, she's just about ready for stripping and painting.

Quick Reply: Dad gave me a four wheeler