THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Do any of you guys listen to REAL country music?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any of you guys listen to REAL country music?

Im not talkin about the country they try to pass off on the radio these days. Im talkin about Randy Rogers Band, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Casey Donahew Band, Stoney LaRue, Roger Creager, Bleu Edmonson...stuff like that. I figure with as many Oklahoma and Texas guys that are on the site that a few of you probably do. We just saw Casey Donahew here at the Rev Room in Little Rock and they put on a damn good show. Weve gotten to be pretty good friends with Stoney LaRue. Anytime were at his shows he always comes out after hes done playing to talk and hang out with us. My buddy Rance was paralyzed in an accident last May and anytime were at a show Stoney always makes sure that Rance is taken care of and can see the show. Randy Rogers and his band are cool guys too. We were actually out front of the Rev Room last January freezing our asses off waiting to get in and Randys fiddle player Brady Black walked up and got in line behind us. I was already half lit and I turned around and saw who he was and I said "Man, youre in the band, you dont have to wait in line." We both kind of laughed and he said "Man if you guys can freeze your asses off waiting to get in and watch us play then I can stand out here and wait to get in too. Its not like theyll start the show without me lol."
Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i grew up listening to george straight, george jones, kenny rogers, and the like. The real stuff. I can't stand the whole taylor swift and rascal flats stuff.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:34 PM
LS ADDICT/BUILDER

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the old country music too
Old 01-06-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea I listen to the old stuff as well as the new stuff I mentioned in my first post. The new stuff is more the "Red Dirt" country but those guys have some badass songs. White Trash Story by Casey Donahew band is flat out hilarious if youve never heard it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ezgx688Qs
Old 01-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like old country, can't listen to the new stuff!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

My car has a pretty strict playlist including:

Ragweed, Boland, No Justice, Great Divide, McClure, Aaron Watson, Adam Hood, Bleu, Brandon Jenkins, Felice Brothers, Bart Crow, Charlie Robison, Chris Knight, LeDoux, Cooder Graw, Cory Morrow, Django Walker, Jerry Jeff Walker, Guy Clark, Hayes Carll, Hank Sr., James McMurtry, Jason Savory, Kristofferson, Cash, Haggard, Keith Whitley, Old 97's, Ray Wylie Hubbard, RRB, Reckless Kelly, Robert Earl Keen, Steve Earle, Roger Clyne, Wade Bowen, yadda yadda yadda...

I like Stoney but he's got kind of a reputation for ripping off other people's songs (i.e. Oklahoma Breakdown from Hosty).

Some friends of mine have a band, The Turnpike Troubadours, and if you like all of the above you'll enjoy them too. They just put out their second CD on the 4th that was produced by McClure: http://turnpiketroubadours.com/
Old 01-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely, we call it Red Dirt music down here. I live in the live music capitol of the world and they all visit here often, one of the many reasons I love Austin.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Absolutely, we call it Red Dirt music down here. I live in the live music capitol of the world and they all visit here often, one of the many reasons I love Austin.
Red Dirt Roundup FTMFW!!!

Ive seen Casey Donahew idk how many times lol
Eli Young, Josh Abbott just a few i jam too alot and have seen in concert

oh an Bart Crow
Old 01-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

70's 80's and 90's is what I listen to most of the time but not the new stuff much.
Meryl,Waylon,Willie,and George are my favorite.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Silly southerners ,think you own everything. From that link and most everything ive seen listed isnt real country. Now i dont hardly believe real country exists anymore, but the closest your gonna get now adays is gonna be hank III, wayne the train, and unknown hinson or something simular..
and if you really think Cross Canadian Ragweed is country, castrate yourself now plz

Last edited by skolman91; 01-07-2010 at 01:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Do any of you guys listen to REAL country music?