THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Do any of you guys listen to REAL country music?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow wheres the popcorn Smilie at?! lol
Old 01-08-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thiems
I'm the same way with songs. Whoever I hear it first, that becomes the original version to me and the other never quite sounds as good.

Trace Adkins? Seriously? Honky Tonk Badunkadunk or whatever the hell it's called?! That's a joke.

Trace and Paisley are pop country at best.

It's hard to define true country. Waylon and all of those guys will usually be classified as true country. Almost all of the newer stuff is pop country. Dwight has more of a Bakersfieldesque influence as does Gary Allan.

Red Dirt isn't all true country either. To put it simple, it isn't pussified country like everything else you hear on the radio. However, most Red Dirt guys are heavily influenced by the likes of Waylon, Cash, Kristofferson, Dylan, etc. The radio pop country singers are more influenced by money and what they think the morons on the radio will play.

Besides, Red Dirt has a lot more meaning as most of them write their own songs from their own experiences. 97% of the stuff on the radio isn't written by the performer. People sing with more heart when it's their own words.

I agree. I don't hate Nashville country, but to me its gone TOO Pop. Love some Dwight Yoakum and Gary Allen, but they have their own style.

I tend to prefer the more souther rock-ish style of the red dirt music. Is it all Country? Not really, but I dig it.

And give me Miranda Lambert anyday over most other female artists.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Pssssstttt........you guys think you know country? This is country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swwjTfdOjo4
Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
Eli Young Band- Mike Eli graduated from my high school two years ahead of me. They are heading in the direction of Nashville. (I grew up off highway 249... listen to the first verse of "always the love songs") They're early stuff was good. CD: Live at the Jolly Fox in Huntsville,TX was probably the best.
My apartment is one block away from here. Guess who doesn't have to pay to hear all the bands play. lol
Old 01-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Originally Posted by slowprocess
Pssssstttt........you guys think you know country? This is country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swwjTfdOjo4
Is that Dwight Yoakum? What movie is that from?

Originally Posted by texasbullseye89
My apartment is one block away from here. Guess who doesn't have to pay to hear all the bands play. lol
Nice!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Is that Dwight Yoakum? What movie is that from?

Nice!
Slingblade.....one of my all time favorites.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slowprocess
I still have to watch this video at least twice when I get home from work everyday.............enough said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1bHaUk1CM
Old 01-08-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats an affirmative. Casey Donahew is ok but his voice is annoying to me. (sorry ) Roger Creager went to my school as well. Now he's one hell of an entertainer! I think I have seen him and Ragweed over 8 times each. They never get old.

Stoney Larue was trying to hit on a friend of a friend's girlfriend one night at Harry's. (He's fuggin married....WTF?) The boyfriend got pissed off and got in ol' Stoney's face asking what his problem was. Old Stoney goes, "Don't you know who I am? I'm Stoney Larue."
Boyfriend: Stoney La-who?
Stoney: Stoney Larue
About this time, we were all watching this go down and Stoney got a "clue" and walked away. Everybody was like, "what a ***."

[ Any time me and my friends get to drinkin and a stoney song comes on we're all like "who is this?....wait....is that?...NO!...Its Stoney Larue" Then somebody will say, "Stoney La-who?" Its funny **** but it might be something you have to be there to giggle at. ]

About EYB: I'm sure it was more producer's influence than theirs. That's what I was thinking before hand so thanks for the confirmation. I hope they dumb it down a little. I used to love getting schwasted and laying out in the yard listening to their CD. It was awesome. I hate growing up.

I hear you on Donahews voice. I like his stuff more for his songwriting. He writes those lyrics that you can really relate to. Creager is always great too. When you listen to his stuff you think, "Damn, hes just like the rest of us lol."

Thats hilarious about Stoney lol. I could definetly see him bein that way. Lets just say he did some interesting **** on the CCruise a couple years ago.

I think the biggest thing with EYB is that since they have the big record deal now that they are pretty much stuck with listening to the Nashville producers. If you see them play the songs from the new cd live, its much different than the cd. They put that edge back into the songs that isnt on the cd. Its like the cd is over produced and the music is overplayed. Live its just the same old EYB.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

anyone here listen to chris ledoux? i was raised on his tapes. 4200 songs in itunes, 95% is country, and most of that is older than i am.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jeforton
anyone here listen to chris ledoux? i was raised on his tapes. 4200 songs in itunes, 95% is country, and most of that is older than i am.
I'm a pretty big LeDoux fan. Saw him live many times. He had probably the most high energy show that I've ever seen.

Quick Reply: Do any of you guys listen to REAL country music?