THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Engines of the future...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jules....have you seen any of the big ABB electric turbos in your maritime travels?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I kinda agree with most of your points Mike. However there are a bunch of other engines out there that I've seen but can't seem to find again right now. I'll post them up as I come across them, some of them are quite viable!!
Oh and I called Coates this morning and asked to speak to their sales department. The lady hesitated and said they didn't have a sales department...
Asked her a few questions and she said that everything is still in R&D.
Oh, and don't get me wrong, I like the idea of this thread... its just those guys in the Coates video had me screaming at my laptop, spitting bits of the scrambled eggs I was eating for breakfast at the screen lol. All I caught from them talking was them saying, "we have the cure for global warming, replacing poppet style valves with our rotating Magic 8 *****!" /facepalm

New engine designs are fun to look at to see how they work especially since the ohv pushrod engine is what we have been 'basically' accustomed to since the dawn of time... I'd contribute more to this thread, but I don't even know where to begin looking
Old 03-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-08-2010, 12:32 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EVILGMC
jules....have you seen any of the big ABB electric turbos in your maritime travels?
Most slow speed diesels use electric blowers to feed the motor up to about 70-78 rpm's at which point the "tip in" or boost threshhold for the turbo's is reached and the engine can sustain itself. The electric blowers do not use compressor wheels I don't think but I could be wrong.

How's this for lag, without those blower the engine would never get up to a high enough RPM in order for the turbo's to kick in.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:49 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw that Coates design for the first time when I was living in the dorms at ASU, which would be 2002-2003. Doesn't look like they have made much progress since then.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:53 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking for that engine design that has the pistons that travel in a circle, can't remember what it's called and searches for Rotary just turn up Wankel designs....

*edit - found it, called Oscillating Piston or Toroidal Internal Combustion. Trying to find a video.
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/11/o...-toroid-in-it/
http://www.rotoblock.com/concept_validated.shtml
Old 03-08-2010, 03:27 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw that one last night on youtube when I was looking up a link for the TCengine. Looked pretty cool. Makes me wonder what kinda of RPM it can do with all the centrifugal forces acting on it.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Heres a steam powered engine, it was in a diesel power mag. Theres one they make that puts out 860 ftlbs. @ 1 rpm.
http://www.cyclonepower.com/used.html
http://landspeedrecord.intuitwebsites.com/services.html

Last edited by Hurley00; 03-08-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

i was reading in a mag the other day at firestone (gettin tire fixed) about a V6 gm is ging to produce that has twin turbos and either runs on 85eth. or something of that nature that will put more tourque to the ground than a 6.6 duramax......cant remember the name of it
Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

If these engines are so good, why haven't we seen them in production? Coates claimed they have been in business for 15 years. Why haven't we seen anything like that...in a car, boat, airplane, etc?? No matter what people say, the conventional internal combustion engine that we know today is here to stay. The design is just too familiar and *RELIABLE* to let it go. Manufacturers will always keep refining the internal combustion engine with new technology......I just don't see anyone reinventing the wheel anytime soon by introducing an unfamilar engine design in a car. I guess the only exception to the rule would be the Wankel rotary engine in the RX-7 and RX-8, which has been pretty successful.

Quick Reply: Engines of the future...