THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Ever been scammed through PayPal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:26 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ever been scammed through PayPal?

We all know the online scams done via Craig's list by those guys in Nigeria (not being racist or discrimantory, just where alot of the scams originate from). I've had my fun with them over the years because they were easy to spot and always go by the same M.O.
I'm selling my bike on Craig's list and someone emailed me last night asking a dumb question that was already answered in the posting. His second reply following my reply, he has offered to buy it at full asking price without even looking at the bike, and is gonna have it picked-up via carrier service. I gave him my number but he hasn't bother texting or calling and claims work is very busy right now.
This is the same M.O. they always seem to use so I was about to chuck the email away but this last part threw me for a loop, he's offered to Pay via PayPal.
Usually they try the certified check BS or some other means of payment which ends up being fraud but PayPal is pretty legit. So my question is, has anyone ever had a payment held up or been scammed via PayPal? I'm thinking of agree'ing to it but having him send it as a "Gift" because unless I'm mistaken if it's given as a gift they cannot dispute it once it's been paid.

Opinions?

Here's the email, notice the english is a little off, and he seems to be quoting an plug line from Paypal advertising.

"Thanks for your quick response,Ok just wanted to make sure nothing is been left out. i was introduced to this site by a friend at work. I am well satisfied with the description on your ad,I will be buying this for the price you have listed it for.Though i will not be able to make cash payment due to my tight schedule. But am ready to make paypal as my method of paying, Send your PayPal email address to me so I can pay you and proceed with the transaction,I am using only PayPal. This is because PayPal is the most secured and safest way to transact online. I will arrange with someone to have this picked up from your location once i have paid.In the meantime, can you send me more pictures (if available)? I hope to read from you soon.
Thanks."
Old 07-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

I have been scammed, but before they ramped up their buyer protection. That sounds like a scam though...wonder if they've figured out some way to steal through paypal now.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask for their phone number and tell them you need to talk to them on the phone instead of text. tell them its something reguarding the title or something important.
See what they say and go from there.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:38 PM
GFYS and STFU

Exactly, PayPal is pretty fool proof right now in regards to getting scammed.
I thought about that Jonathan, I think I'm gonna push a little more for details first, this should get interesting!
Would be pimp to scam a scammer though!!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wish i could find the forum where i found this guy in the states that did pull off the scamming a scammer.. he ended up getting alot of money from him and shipped him bout 10 computer towers filled with Concrete. It was awesome.. i wanna say he ended up giving the money to a charity or something cool.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

or when someone buys something off ebay, and the title clearly says "pick up only" and they buy it. ebay takes there cut, then paypal take theres..then the people who bought what you were selling realize you wont ship. so you tell them youll send them 190 back since ebay and paypal already took there percentage. so they get a paypal dispute and paypal ends up giving them the full amount back, which means i had to pay that 10 bucks out of my own pocket because there dumb *** couldnt read.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SCAM.

"I am well satisfied with the description on your ad,I will be buying this for the price you have listed it for."

Whenever they say they are interested in your item, or your thing, and never give or say a detail like.... "I'm interested in your BIKE"

they are looking to scam.

It is always, "your item" - 1st email is a bot, hence no detail about what you are selling. Then when you reply their 2nd email will be from the scammer... cause now they know there's a person answering.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They will take your payPal address and shoot you an E-mail with a "SPOOF" paypal "you received money" e-mail. You will open the E-mail and everything looks legit. If you click on the link in the E-mail, it will bring you to a VERY realistic PayPal home site. You will then type in your paypal e-mail address and password and hit enter. As the page is attempting to load (again, looks identical to the PayPal home site), the scammer is tracking your keystrokes, now obtaining your paypal e-mail and password and will clean you out!

I have received countless ones like that. I often click on the link in the E-mail and type in something derogatory in the SPOOF paypal home page...like e-mail = kissmyass@UPIECEOFSH*T password = DUMBASS.

Be sure to run your virus clean-up after that to ensure there is no keystroke trackers implanted in you PC...or better yet, use a public computer.

I HATE SCAMMERS, however enjoy f-ing with them! I actually have $130,000.00 worth of fake checks in my toolbox from the scammers. Yes, I take it that far...I figure if they are wasting that much time with me, I am saving some honest seller out there from being scammed.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:19 PM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by VegasJ
SCAM.

"I am well satisfied with the description on your ad,I will be buying this for the price you have listed it for."

Whenever they say they are interested in your item, or your thing, and never give or say a detail like.... "I'm interested in your BIKE"

they are looking to scam.

It is always, "your item" - 1st email is a bot, hence no detail about what you are selling. Then when you reply their 2nd email will be from the scammer... cause now they know there's a person answering.
No I'm familiar with most of their tactics including the ones this guy is using here but I've never seen them use PayPal before. And I didn't see the angle until the post below which now makes sense.

Originally Posted by krambo
They will take your payPal address and shoot you an E-mail with a "SPOOF" paypal "you received money" e-mail. You will open the E-mail and everything looks legit. If you click on the link in the E-mail, it will bring you to a VERY realistic PayPal home site. You will then type in your paypal e-mail address and password and hit enter. As the page is attempting to load (again, looks identical to the PayPal home site), the scammer is tracking your keystrokes, now obtaining your paypal e-mail and password and will clean you out!

I have received countless ones like that. I often click on the link in the E-mail and type in something derogatory in the SPOOF paypal home page...like e-mail = kissmyass@UPIECEOFSH*T password = DUMBASS.

Be sure to run your virus clean-up after that to ensure there is no keystroke trackers implanted in you PC...or better yet, use a public computer.

I HATE SCAMMERS, however enjoy f-ing with them! I actually have $130,000.00 worth of fake checks in my toolbox from the scammers. Yes, I take it that far...I figure if they are wasting that much time with me, I am saving some honest seller out there from being scammed.

That's pretty good, having $130,000 worth of scammers checks is hilarious! I never click on links in emails that take me to sites I'm already on for the exact reason you say, I just open another tab and click on my quicklinks and go in the sites that way but I didn't think of them using paypal this way. Good looking out!

Now for the fun!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Baltimore Whore

Scam 100%

Quick Reply: Ever been scammed through PayPal?