THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

"excessive acceleration" ticket

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
just ask what specific requirements are needed to warrant the ticket. And then ask for the radar or laser proof of what your speed was from what speed to what speed.
For exhibition of acceleration it is more than likely going to be his word versus yours. It isn't necessarily that you were going over the speed limit but that the cop witnessed you accelerating excessively. He can try it but he shouldn't get his hopes up.

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
tell him you were excersizing your defensive driving skills? You had complete control over the vehicle, you had no choice but to accelerate at an acceptable level to protect yourself and other drivers. You kept under the speed limit and the weather conditions were acceptable for that type of driving manuver in your expert opinion of driving your specific vehicle.
Do you like having judges laugh at you?
Old 10-18-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

Friend of mine did a burnout at cruisin the coast a couple years ago and got a "public display of power" ticket. They had a bunch of people standing on side of the road getting people to do burnouts, then holding up numbers to rate the burnout. People ahead of us in traffic were doing burnouts well **** poor burnouts. So when it was our turn we stopped and.....450RWHP Trans AM on regular radial tires, manual valve body in turbo 350. Burnout went something like this....held brake and 1st gear 6500 clicked into 2nd 6500, clicked into drive 6500. As smoke was clearing here comes the police. While he was getting the ticket, the people around watching the burnout pass around a collection and give it us....$80. After that we parked his car for the rest of the time there and drank beer.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Veteran

I would soo love to comment on this thread but my views of the law in general have alway been met with harsh remarks from someone who is part of or close to law inforcement.
I have two very close familiy members in law enforcement and it does not skew my opinions of some of the pinheads they give badges.

Opps, looks like I made a negative comment......lol
Old 10-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Majority of the time, Your getting a ticket based on the type of law you broke, Your attitude, the cops attitude, and quota.

My guess is this guy just felt like writing tickets.

The best you can ever do is just be honest and hope it works out for you. Laws are Laws.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

When I was 18 I Had My first car "1970 Chevelle SS 396" we put a shift kit in it and it chirped 2nd gear at any throttle position, Leaving a stop light next to a cop it chirped and I got a ticket for all out acceleration, back then it was like $50 so I just paid it.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

^^^thats sucks, since you had the ticket in hand you should have done a true all out acceleration j/k
that sucks, i wouldnt do what i said, but it would be funny