THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Eye candy...of a different kind

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom, bad *** man, nice looking pieces for sure. Love the old school telly. I myself started to play, feel I need to since everybody on my moms side of the fam can rip really well. I just havn't found the time to get to it. It really takes alot of practicing to learn, I just don't have the time( or made the time) to do it, other then the basics( scales, cords ect.) Nice looking collection for sure.. Here is my baby, I really need to start again..

Old 05-02-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Tom, bad *** man, nice looking pieces for sure. Love the old school telly. I myself started to play, feel I need to since everybody on my moms side of the fam can rip really well. I just havn't found the time to get to it. It really takes alot of practicing to learn, I just don't have the time( or made the time) to do it, other then the basics( scales, cords ect.) Nice looking collection for sure.. Here is my baby, I really need to start again..
skolman91, sorry I'm not a stoner guitar playing hippy.

John, thanks for kind words. I didn't know u had it in you. Must be a 1st.
Seriously now, no one in fam plays that I know of. I just have a huge appreciation of music, mostly blues. Beyond blues, I like rock, harder rock (some may call it metal, but not too hard), country & even a lil classical (just a lil).

What u said in red is 100% true!!! You gotta make & find the time. I live w/. my brother, & hate to have his ears bleed as I practice over & over, screwing up. But how will I learn if I don't?
When he's not around, after I get truck to it's next phase by fall of this yr, I wanna learn & practice. Sweet Home Chicago, Smoke on Water, Hey Joe, & brain fart for which ACDC song I started on. It's not that IDK ACDC songs, I just can't jog memory this late.

Pick up Blackie & begin. If I can, u can. And I'm not musically inclined at all. But my memory is pretty good, last time I picked it up, I had to look up in my notes where fingers go for just basic chords. A lot of those few basic songs I mentioned, I might not know the whole song, but I began. Smoke on Water was 1st I think I started on. When I learn A, C, E, & also C7, E7, I'll be heading somewhere. And play em cleanly too. That's why I gotta practice. Clean sound, mistake free. I'm not worried bout how fast I play.

Scales & other notes thereafter. Long as I can play Blues, I'll be happy. Then branch out. That Boogie amp is loud. The lil Peavey needs to get cranked just to equal the Boogie on "1". That's only using 5A too.

Last edited by fastnblu; 05-02-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Baltimore Whore

Def love blues, my buddy is 26, can shred, from blues to country, rock.. He really likes blues, can make the damn guitar sing, find myself in aww just watching him play.. I myself like the blues sound, but love the zz top stuff, sound. Stevie ray, hedrix ect, can't forget my boy chuck berry. I started, had a good grasp on little wing, but since I have stopped practicing, lost it.. None the less, like I said, you agreed on, YOU NEED TO MAKE TIME, unless you just have the nac and can pick it up just like that..
Old 05-02-2010, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Def love blues, my buddy is 26, can shred, from blues to country, rock.. He really likes blues, can make the damn guitar sing, find myself in aww just watching him play.. I myself like the blues sound, but love the zz top stuff, sound. Stevie ray, hedrix ect, can't forget my boy chuck berry. I started, had a good grasp on little wing, but since I have stopped practicing, lost it.. None the less, like I said, you agreed on, YOU NEED TO MAKE TIME, unless you just have the nac and can pick it up just like that..
No knack, I just hafta perservere.
I love ZZ, Billy Gibbons is awesome. Chuck Berry too. No digs on any others mentioned, but I'm hard-core ZZTop fan.
Little Wing is the jam.

You'll prolly learn some just by watchin your buddy. So I've heard, watchin others is just another way to learn.

Put it like this. I saw B.B. King. I went that night or next day. I tried to member some things I saw him do, & by golly, I actually learned a trick or 2. And like said, I know very little. It was cool to see, then do what he did. It mighta not sounded as good, but it was there.

There are many paths Grasshopper. ****** the pebble from my hand.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:03 AM
11 Second Truck Club

you sure do have a bunch of guitars for someone that doesn't play much blue! lol thats a hellofa collection. I used to be a collector of sorts, but have thinned out the heard to a 07' les paul classic antique, a 90' usa fender strat, and a brand new walden G2070 that i just got for my b-day. I wish I had time for a band. sux playing guitar by yourself. that mesa is a great little amp too. I treat my gear like my truck, they have to be modded! camel bone nuts, vintage bridges, upgraded pots and pickups, JUMBO frets ect. my advice is to find a good luthier cause nothing plays like a guitar that has been setup right. I will try to snap some pics of my gear and post up tomorrow. I know I have a pic of the paul. your les paul is pretty! is it chambered?
pic of the paul,and strat

rivera bm-100 combo with 2 evm-12l's

better pics of the paul

I have always wanted to post a thread to see if any other truck guys played guitar!! cool to know other guys share the same interests.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fastrt
that mesa is a great little amp too. I treat my gear like my truck, they have to be modded! camel bone nuts, vintage bridges, upgraded pots and pickups, JUMBO frets ect. my advice is to find a good luthier cause nothing plays like a guitar that has been setup right. I will try to snap some pics of my gear and post up tomorrow. your les paul is pretty! is it chambered?

here, so I've got questions.

This pic where neck meets body has that black ring is just how Gibson sprayed it I'd think. Breaks it up instead of usual mahoghany all on back.

Thanks fastrt for advice; nice LP. I never heard of Walden til now. There's a lot of makers out there, throw up a pic. Ya, I have a collection, just gotta put it to use.
I don't care bout bein in a band, just for fun for me. Boogie at 1 is enuff for practice, can't imagine on 10. Or more than 5A. Maybe **** off the neighbor w/. retarded, barking dog. Class A power is incredible. Do ya know (I do know this one) what most amps are?

I have a # of a guy that knows how to setup / repair like no other. I was told he doesn't know how to play, but has an ear on what perfection sounds like. I thought that was weird? Thoughts?

Why camel bone nuts, vintage bridges, upgraded pots and pickups, & JUMBO frets? What does it do for ya?

Some of that has to be the look, please explain which is look, which is function, or both.

I believe it's semi-chambered. I could be wrong, but just bought it w/in the last yr.
How can u tell chambered vs well, somethin else?
I know it's pretty hefty slab, but not as much as some. I looked at a lot, some I know were chambered (lighter) cause I was told so, but beyond that IDK how to tell (sound different maybe).

See, now that thread is here.

Last edited by fastnblu; 05-02-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:31 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by skolman91
ahhh it all makes sense now, you and billy are stoner guitar playing hippies...
Well you got my number...except for the hippie part lol

Man, looking at all of these nice axes makes me want to pick up my bass and jam...think that the neighbors would mind if I plugged in and broke into "The Trooper" by Iron Maiden....everybody needs a little 3:30 am Iron Maiden some times

*EDIT* Hey, isn't Les Paul from Jersey?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:38 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Thanks fastrt for advice; nice LP. I never heard of Walden til now. There's a lot of makers out there, throw up a pic. Ya, I have a collection, just gotta put it to use.
I don't care bout bein in a band, just for fun for me. Maybe **** off the neighbor w/. retarded, barking dog. Boogie at 1 is enuff for practice, can't imagine on 10. Or more than 5A. Class A power is incredible. Do ya know what most amps are?

I have a # of a guy that knows how to setup / repair like no other. I was told he doesn't know how to play, but has an ear on what perfection sounds like. I thought that was weird? Thoughts?

See, now that thread is here.
ha ha, yeah walden is an usa designed made in china acoustic guitar maker. BUT, what sets them appart is the way the build. they use all the materials that the old guitar makers used to use. animal glue, REAL wood, nitro finish, bone nuts and saddles, and they are made by one person, not mass produced. sound like a $2500 taylor for $375. but its that made in china sticker most shy away from.

that boogie sounds great on about 2-3 with the guitar turned down a bit. I had a recto-verb 1-12 about 2 years ago. I have went thru many stacks and combo's, and old marshall, and old fender sound the best to my ear. you can never beat the sound of a fender reverb amp cranked just before breakup imo. I can never bring myself to buy an old fender for some reason, even though I want one really bad! most amps are class a/b. I wont get into detail on the difference cause its 2:30am lol, but class A runs hotter and makes a more raw punchy sound(pure tone). my rivera lets me switch from a/b to pure A. class A burns tubes though because of the heat produced. I can talk all night about guitar gear. i will shut-up now
Old 05-02-2010, 02:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn yall have some nice stuff
Old 05-02-2010, 02:48 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

You were mentioning the tubes fastrt...is it true that an amp always sounds its "best" right before a tube burnt out....I guess that goes along with the old "bulb always burns brightest right before it burns out" story...

Quick Reply: Eye candy...of a different kind