THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Eye candy...of a different kind

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastrt
BUT, what sets them appart is the way the build. they use all the materials that the old guitar makers used to use. animal glue, REAL wood, nitro finish, bone nuts and saddles, and they are made by one person, not mass produced. sound like a $2500 taylor for $375. but its that made in china sticker most shy away from.

that boogie sounds great on about 2-3 with the guitar turned down a bit. I had a recto-verb 1-12 about 2 years ago. I have went thru many stacks and combo's, and old marshall, and old fender sound the best to my ear. you can never beat the sound of a fender reverb amp cranked just before breakup imo. I can never bring myself to buy an old fender for some reason, even though I want one really bad! most amps are class a/b. I wont get into detail on the difference cause its 2:30am lol, but class A runs hotter and makes a more raw punchy sound(pure tone). my rivera lets me switch from a/b to pure A. class A burns tubes though because of the heat produced. I can talk all night about guitar gear. i will shut-up now
If I get acoustic, Taylor is nice stuff, Martin too. Gibson draws on the name, so they're $$ AS is Martin.
But if I ever buy, & had to pick acoustic value, U.S. made, I'm goin Taylor. I was told it's best to learn on acoustic, then go electric. I forego that & went straight to the good stuff - electric.
I was also told if I want an aquarium, do fresh not salt, cause fresh is easier. Guess what, I'll prolly do salt cause why not start w/ what u want?

No need to shut up, I'm still learning. I do know most are A/B, more pure tone is A. That was told to me, & I was sold on it after hearing the difference.

Last edited by fastnblu; 05-02-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:57 AM
11 Second Truck Club

man i didnt even answer your question did I. sorry.

the dark ring if from the burst color affect when they did whatever they do to get the vintage sunburst on there. bone is a very hard material that transfers sound better than anything that is plastic, or synthetic. brass, or steel is better, but is really brite. camel bone is harder than most because of the "work" they do durring a camel's life. makes the bone harder. the vintage bridges are made from good ole american steel, stamped or forged, instead of the pot metal and porous metals. the american strat bridge has a pot metal black and magnisium sadles that have holes thru them that deadens the sound/ muffles the sound. thats a few reasons a 60's strat sounds awesome, and a new off the wall strat sounds just ok. the fender electronics are good, pickups could be better. the les pauls and your double cutaway have mag plates where the tone and volume pots bolt to that sucks tone. my luthier took out all that, and but a matched set of 500k CTS pots in my paul and some resistors to take the bass out of the neck pickup when clean. my paul has classic 57's stock so that works good for me. the burstbuckers are another great pickup imo. oh and chambered is just weight releafed bodys, gives it a little different tone than non chambered. mine is chambered too. only the tradional LP's are not chambers bodys. I will try to get some more pics of that walden tomorrow.

Last edited by fastrt; 05-02-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:04 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by budhayes3
You were mentioning the tubes fastrt...is it true that an amp always sounds its "best" right before a tube burnt out....I guess that goes along with the old "bulb always burns brightest right before it burns out" story...
hummm...you know come to think of it, I have only had one tube burn out while I was playing. and YES it was beautifull right before it went microphonic! I like to play around with old vintage tubes to get different sounds, and a microphonic tube sound horrible! old RCA tubes are bad about that. man there is alot of thought that goes into those things. they cant make them the way they used to because of materals that cause cancer went into the old one's. and it has an effect on tone. is an ear thing for me. if you know what I mean.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:08 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by fastnblu
If I get acoustic, Taylor is nice stuff, Martin too. Gibson draws on the name, so they're $$ AS is Martin.
But if I ever buy, & had to pick acoustic value, U.S. made, I'm goin Taylor. I was told it's best to learn on acoustic, then go electric. I forego that & went straight to the good stuff - electric.
I was also told if I want an aquarium, do fresh not salt, cause fresh is easier. Guess what, I'll prolly do salt cause why not start w/ what u want?

No need to shut up, I'm still learning. I do know most are A/B, more pure tone is A. That was told to me, & I was sold on it after hearing the difference.
ha ha, I did the same thing. but acoustic will build your muscles up for the electric. the class a/b and A have to do with how the voltage runs thru the output tubes. most class A have el84's or 6v6's for low watts. but a class A 18 watt is as loud as 50 watts A/B
Old 05-02-2010, 03:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

bone is a very hard material that transfers sound better than anything that is plastic, or synthetic. brass, or steel is better, but is really brite. camel bone is harder than most because of the "work" they do durring a camel's life. makes the bone harder. the vintage bridges are made from good ole american steel, stamped or forged, instead of the pot metal and poris(spell?) metals. the american strat bridge has a pot metal black and magnisium sadles that have holes thru them that deadens the sound/ muffles the sound. thats a few reasons a 60's strat sounds awesome, and a new off the wall strat sounds just ok. the fender electronics are good, pickups could be better. the les pauls and your double cutaway have mag plates where the tone and volume pots bolt to that sucks tone. my luthier took out all that, and but a matched set of 500k CTS pots in my paul and some resistors to take the bass out of the neck pickup when clean. my paul has classic 57's stock so that works good for me. the burstbuckers are another great pickup imo. oh and chambered is just weight releafed bodys, gives it a little different tone than non chambered. mine is chambered too. only the tradional LP's are not chambers bodys. ...
A most thorough reply. Thanks a bunch.
I've played me Dbl Cutaway very little, & yet I believe it's the pot that went out. Like said, I've much to learn. Anyway, it'll play, then I hit treble switch, & IIRC, sound dimishes from when new or it did somethin funny. Pop or static maybe, I need to pull it out again to descibe better. All I know is, it's not right & had a short service life.

I think I have the 490T & 498T pickups in my DC, sound right?

So my thought on chambered is correct. Old school are hefty, hence no chambers.

I like to play around with old vintage tubes to get different sounds, and a microphonic tube sound horrible! old RCA tubes are bad about that. man there is alot of thought that goes into those things. they cant make them the way they used to because of materals that cause cancer went into the old one's. and it has an effect on tone. is an ear thing for me. if you know what I mean.
Everyone wants old school sounds w/. today's reliability. So they go seek old guitars, amps & wah-wahs.

I'd love to learn some more, maybe we can talk sometime on some of this stuff. I appreciate what I've learned thus far, u have a way to explain to common folk like me w/o losing me.

I gotta turn in.

Last edited by fastnblu; 05-02-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:58 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is true, nothing sounds as warm as the old school stuff...too bad everything that's "good" is bad for you lol
Old 05-02-2010, 10:59 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

You know I can totally picture Billy playing the axe but Tom I would never have thought that you are into this stuff. My son recently has got into playing and we bought him a cheap starter kit to see if he likes it. He has a silvertone that he has been playing for about a year and half. He seems to like it and I like to give him a hard time. Being his Dad I feel it's my right to do so. Like hey play One for me! Maybe I'll get an action shot next time I hear him playing and post it.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

You know I can totally picture Billy playing the axe but Tom I would never have thought that you are into this stuff.

That's cause Billy looks like a NJ rail car w/. graffiti.

Vince, looks can be deceiving.

Wait til my next pic whoring session. It'll be soon, I was just waitin on my L7. Quiet Reaper.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:27 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

An action shot would be great Vince! Gotta love pics of the kids making music, that's as good as it gets IMO. Rosie is definitely "interested" in the guitar, as we have an acoustic in our living room, but she actually strikes me as more of a drummer really...kind of a bull in a China shop. She has messed around with the guitar as much as a 3 1/2 year old girl can, but really seemed to do well when she sat behind her uncle's drum set (my future ex-brother-in-law is a phenomenal drummer, he is absolutely the best drummer that I've ever played with...hope to keep that friendship alive)....

There was some movie about or called "August Rush" where a little boy layed the guitar down and played it by tapping on it I believe...Rosie likes to re-enact that by taking our acoustic and beating the **** out of it!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:28 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by fastnblu
You know I can totally picture Billy playing the axe but Tom I would never have thought that you are into this stuff.

That's cause Billy looks like a NJ rail car w/. graffiti.
That's about the funniest thing that I've ever heard, I just pissed my pants!

Quick Reply: Eye candy...of a different kind