THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Flex a lite efans problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 10:57 AM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flex a lite efans problem

Well I have a set of flex a lite efans on my truck and I went to the track last night and ran two passes with in 10 minutes back to back with no time to cool down. After my second pass I went and parked and put the AC on, and when I do that both fans come on high but this time they did not come on. I made a phone call and when I looked at my gauges I had a "Check Coolant Temp" flashing looked over at the gauge and it was pegged out and my AC was blowing HOT. This is the kit that I have, flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/27inch-electric.html I was talking to 2ktransam and he seams to think that the control box is going bad.(Variable Speed Control) While talking to him I turned the truck on and the fans started to work. I am just looking for some input if anyone has any ideas also.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it is intermittent I would check the wiring especially the grounds to ensure they are clean and connected well. If you soldered any of the connections did you use flux to prevent a dry solder connection? did you use any weather proofing on the connections to keep water out?

good luck!!
Old 05-23-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Flex-a-lite fans are great but their controlers suck for reliability. Get a Nelson harness.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:22 PM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to look over everything today and check out everything.

How would I ditch the box and go with the wiring harness?
Old 05-23-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My flex-a-lite fans didn't work the other day either and found out the controller was at fault. Some of the blade terminals had come loose so I took the controller apart and re-soldered the terminals back to the circuit board.

I believe there has been a couple of versions of the controller to fix some of its problems but its still a crappy controller.

If the controller gives me problems again, I'll try out the SPAL controller http://www.jaycorptech.com/showprodu...?productid=155.

PICs:

Old 05-24-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same Flex A Lite fans as you do. I've never had an issue with overheating and/or problems with the fan controller (VSC). Do you have the same VSC that is pictured in the upper right corner of the link that you posted? That is the same VSC I have and it's supposed to be the newer, more reliable model from Flex A Lite. I've had this setup for about 2 years now and it kept my truck cool when I drove across country last year.....even during the Arizona summer in city traffic.