THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Found some pics of my old Monte SS (big pics 56K no way)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 06:35 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Found some pics of my old Monte SS (big pics 56K no way)

Been cleaning up lately, getting a room ready for when the baby comes in September During the cleanout, I found an old dusty photo album that looked really familiar. In it was some pics from the mid 90's when I was a tech at Leonard Toyota in River Edge, NJ. Found a bunch of pics that I took of my old Monte back in the day, and scanned them into my computer to show you guys. Man, I miss that car...I kick myself for getting rid of it every time I think about it Maybe some day I'll build another one, but for now, at least I still have some memories...

BTW, the car is an 85, but the wheels are off an 87 with BFG 235/60R-15's on them (I think the factory size was 215/65R-15). I swapped in a ZZ3, or ZZx (can't remember which one) 350 crate motor, worked Rochester feedback carburetor that was intended for a 454 truck, Edelbrock TES headers and y-pipe, gutted cat, and Hooker cat back that exited behind the rear wheels like the old Buick Grand Nationals. The factory 200R4 was great until I had it "built", then it was nothing but problems. Some urethane sway bar hardware, KYB shocks, and some stiff Cargo Coils in the rear helped the cornering. Interior was bone stock except for the radio, steering wheel, and AutoMeter vacuum guage, and it was as clean as the day it rolled off the showroom floor. Drove it to work every day and wherever I had to go on the weekends. (winters definitely sucked though...the rear wheels would start spinning and it would start fishtailing if the weatherman even mentioned snow...)
Old 06-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Mr. Obvious

very nice
Old 06-11-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car, u ever got any times on it?
Old 06-11-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love all the GM G-body cars, especially the Buick Grand National and Monte Carlo SS. My dad just finished his 1986 Monte Carlo SS a couple weeks ago after spending 7 years working on it. Here is a picture of it:

It is the cleanest Monte SS I've ever seen. Detailed chassis, underbody, engine compartment, all new interior, new engine, tranny, etc. You could literally eat from anywhere on the car. It's pretty much stock with a rebuilt 305 H.O. (L69), stock 200R4 tranny, stock suspension, etc. He hasn't entered it into shows yet but he'll get something eventually. I wish you could see it in person.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Bad *** car Billy, I should show them to the kid next door to give him a little inspiration.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:40 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by dry_kill
Beautiful car, u ever got any times on it?
Thanks man...no times though, I never raced it. During that time I spent most of my weekends partying or playing in the band...I always wondered what it would run though...maybe high 13's?

BlackLM7, your dad's car is sweet! I'd love to see that car up close

Thanks Tom...you should print out one of those pics and just put it under his wiper and write on it "what could be"...
Old 06-12-2006, 04:40 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Nice car. I always liked them and thought they looked much better without all of the factory stickers. Here is a picture of my old G-Body, it's an '84 Cutlass with a small block Chevy and narrowed 9" Ford. The best it ran was 11.61 @123mph on a 125 shot.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car.. I wanted a Monte to be my first car when I was in High School.. Unfortunately I neverr got it.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

That thing would have been great with a 6.0 and a turbo on it!! The GNs would have been pretty fun to mess with then.
awesome loking car man!! Always wanted one myself.
I had a 78 Monte with a Z28 4 bolt main 350 in it.
The car was full of surface rust but we smoked many an unsuspecting car with it.
Why did you sell it??!!
Old 06-12-2006, 12:53 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I actually used it as part of the down payment on my truck. It was starting to rust around the quarter windows, the trans was taking a poop, it was starting to show rust on the bottom of the doors, etc. etc. I should've kept it as a project car, but didn't have the room (or cash) for an extra vehicle at the time Man, I sure do miss it.

That's one badass car you have or had there BADMOFO! Nice times too!!

Quick Reply: Found some pics of my old Monte SS (big pics 56K no way)