THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

GAP insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GAP insurance

I bought the gap insurance when I bought my truck. I paid off my truck and gmac sent me a letter stating to ask the dealer for a possible refund of my gap insurance. I called the dealer and they stated that being I paid off my truck at full term I didnt get a refund. Anyone here know about this GAP program and if I am entitled to a refund or not. I spoke with a lady that deals with it at the dealership, I fully explained I paid off the truck and have the title in my hands. She said to bring it to her and she would do the paperwork for a refund. On my way to the dealer, she calls and said that being that I paid to term I didnt get a refund. I am curious as to why she didnt tell me this in the first conversation that we had. I cant find any info on the program that states when and if you are entitled to a partial refund if you have never used it.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

bump.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll have to fight with them for it. Get a written statement from GMAC and start with that. You'll get it back eventually
Old 12-04-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I figured they wouldnt give it up easy. I am going to stop by there next week and get them to show me in writting all the stipulations on it. I know if you cancel it while you are still making your truck payment, you will get a partial refund. So I guess if I did this a couple months ago I would have got some back, that just doesnt make sense to me.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't think you will get any refund and here is why. You bought gap insurance for xx number of months. At your admission, you paid off your truck at term, meaning you uses ALL xx number of months of the gap insurance. If you would have paid the truck off early, then you would have been entitled to the remaining months of gap insurance premiums that you had prepaid for but no longer needed since the loan was paid early.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree with KB. Gap insurance is like this.

You have a $15K truck. Truck only values at $15K. Your trade in doesn't cover your old note. You owe $5K and they give you $2K trade in allowance. So they move numbers and put the other $3K on your new $15K note. You now owe $18K on a $15K truck. Gap insurance covers if your truck burns, or is stolen and distroyed, the $3k difference. When you owe more than it's worth, Gap covers the difference if a full insurance payout is ever needed.

Since you kept the truck through payoff, and didn't pay off the note early, you shouldn't see any refund.

Sorry man.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I don't think you will get any refund and here is why. You bought gap insurance for xx number of months. At your admission, you paid off your truck at term, meaning you uses ALL xx number of months of the gap insurance. If you would have paid the truck off early, then you would have been entitled to the remaining months of gap insurance premiums that you had prepaid for but no longer needed since the loan was paid early.
Thanks. That is the best explaination I have heard. That makes complete sense. Thanks again.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:31 PM
9 Second Truck Club

I paid off a note a few years only and got the same letter. Is the Gap refund worth the hassle of dealing with dealer.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

depends how much you had to get, and how long the original note was, and how fast you paid it off early.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Where's the Beef?

When I wrecked my Escape after 6 months I got back around $400. Dunno what a full time frame would be. But I agree with KB. It's XX amount of months and once that is up you no longer have Gap insurance.

Quick Reply: GAP insurance