THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Got a speeding ticket today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got a speeding ticket today.

Only 75 in a 50 though, and didn't get charged with Reckless driving.

It was outta state and from what I've read Maryland does not assess points for outta state tickets unless you killed someone basically. Hope that's right.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks.. any plans in fighting it?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Adkoonerstrator

If Maryland doesn't assess points to outta state speeding tickets then probably not. The fine is like $75.00 so I'll probably just pay that, haven't made a decision yet.

Here is a little info from the Maryland MVA website. Everything points to them not assessing points so I'll probably just pay the fine.

I have a Maryland driver's license and was recently convicted of a vehicle related offense in another state. Will that conviction information and points be placed on my Maryland driver record?

If you received a conviction out-of-state, that state is obligated under the terms of the Driver License Compact (DLC) to notify the MVA. Upon receipt of the information, the MVA will update your driver record.

For many types of violations, the MVA will only record the conviction information on your Maryland driver record and will not assess points. However, if you have been convicted of one of the serious violations identified in Article IV of the Driver’s License Compact, the MVA will record both the conviction information and the points associated with it. The number of points assessed is equal to the number that would have been assessed if the conviction occurred in Maryland.

The MVA may also take other actions such as suspending or revoking your license, in accordance with Maryland law. For more information read the Driver’s License Compact, which has been incorporated into Maryland Law.
Here is Article IV of the Driver's License Compact.

Article IV

Effect of Conviction

(a) The licensing authority in the home state, for the purposes of suspension, revocation or limitation of the license to operate a motor vehicle, shall give the same effect to the conduct reported, pursuant to Article III of this Compact, as it would if such conduct had occurred in the home state, in the case of convictions for:

(1) Manslaughter or negligent homicide resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle;

(2) Driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a narcotic drug, or under the influence of any other drug to a degree which renders the driver incapable of safely driving a motor vehicle;

(3) Any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used;

(4) Failure to stop and render aid in the event of a motor vehicle accident resulting in the death or personal injury of another.

(b) As to any other convictions, reported pursuant to Article III, the licensing authority in the home state shall record the conviction on the individual's driving record, but may not assess points for the conviction.

(c) If the laws of a party state do not provide for offenses or violations denominated or described in precisely the words employed in subdivision (a) of this article, such party state shall construe the denominations and descriptions appearing in subdivision (a) hereof as being applicable to and identifying those offenses or violations of a substantially similar nature, and the laws of such party state shall contain such provisions as may be necessary to ensure that full force and effect is given to this article.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like you got it made....minus $75 bucks....
Old 07-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Yeah, it'll still be on my driving record but, their ain't no getting around that I don't think. The last ticket I went to court for(a month or two ago ) the judge was sitting up there reading peoples record from back in the 70's.

I might use the overpayment thing too just for some added protection.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

shure wont hurt
Old 08-01-2005, 03:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Damn you can run fast. Those new Nike's must be the shiznit!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGO
Damn you can run fast. Those new Nike's must be the shiznit!!!!

I would like to know if that overpayment thing works so keep us posted on if it works. Damn I cant believe the fine is only 75 bucks in texas that ticket would be like over 200 bucks.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Yeah, in Maryland the fine is $165 if I remember correctly

I just realized the fine isn't $75, it's $125. I read the paper wrong that has the fines on it.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

that sux, i have heard from a few people that the payment thing works, i dont see how the local departments wouldnt catch on by now or the insurance co's since people have been doing it for a while. Oh well, cant hurt to try.

Quick Reply: Got a speeding ticket today.