THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Gran Torino Movie

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PappyDan
i am gona say this one last time.
as a owner of a video store, i will report pirate sites to the MPAA and the Studios.

i dont post any thing on here that will take any money out of the sponcers pockets.
it's their dollars that give us the site we like to be on.

now you may not rent from me, but i know for a fact out in your area is a store, red box, mail box for net flex, something in your area that is cheap enough to where you dont have to support some damn pirate web site to get your movies.

a long time ago i use to get a bunch of stuff from the studios for free to promote their movies in my store to increase business, hats, T shirts, Posters, collectors stuff, movie tickets to give away.
in fact i can tell you the very last promotion i did, when the matrix came out on video and dvd i had 100 tickets to give away for the matrix reloaded.
now i dont get squat because it is an expence they cannot aford any more.
Good for you, but watch-movies doesn't do anything illegal. If anything they help fight your fight by locating all the websites that do pirate videos.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Tribe Shaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
Good for you, but watch-movies doesn't do anything illegal. If anything they help fight your fight by locating all the websites that do pirate videos.
thats like a junkie showing you all the people in town that sell dope.
if your not cop, what was the grand tour for.

its all a loseing war any way, they dont host it, they just get paid by advertising dollars to show you where its at.

seeing the way all of this is going for the future.
if i had the money, i would build a big server and host movies on it.
not charge one dime, let the advertising pay for it all, that way net flex, blockbuster and stores like mine would die over night.
i have yet to see one business compeat with free and survive.

when all of this downloading started off, several web sits started charging a small fee so you could down load and watch your favorite show.
NBC, CBS, ABC, also got in to the game, soaps, lost, and more.

you want to know why they stoped, AOLTV was doing the same thing but its members could watch for free, for the price of a 15 second ad you got to see your favorite show for free, now AOLTV host every show from A to Z, new and old for free.
on days that i am board with nothing to do, i will watch enterprise, babylon 5, next gereration, voyager, deep space nine, babylon crusades, all because their is nothing on tv i like during the week, with my vid card i can run it on my big screen.

if i could bet some money, i would bet that AOL, Yahoo or MSN will offer the same on movies in the next 5 years and put all forms of renting movies to an end, this set top box from blockbuster and net flex is all a waste of time, the money is in advertising, not pay per view.

sorry for venting, im sure its a good movie.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:29 AM
TECH Veteran

LOL, understand I was being facetious when I said they were on your side.

Honestly, I think it sucks for the guys like you, it's not your fault in all of this. Movie directors and producers are partially to blame putting out trash over the past few years. I'll gladly spend $20 going to the movies, I'll rent a movie at blockbuster or hastings, and I'll buy the movie if I feel it's worth the money, but why support the trash that companies put out just so i can make myself feel a little better when I watch it.

Did you check every worker's green card when you had your house built? If you've ever sold anything, do you always make sure the person didn't steal the money or sell drugs for it? Hell do you shop at WalMart? Those things have just as much if not more potential to hurt the economy as a whole than pirated media.

Do I always drive the speed limit? Do I stop on the highway to pick up the straw wrapper the flew out my window? No, I'm no perfect citizen, but there are those times where I can justify making a little slip up here. I personally can justify watching a movie I didn't feel like paying $20 for. Am I a bad person? To you, probably so, but in my eyes I can still be a good person and occasionally watch a movie uploaded on youtube or whatever.

How do you feel about Hulu? It is a legit free website. Hell they are advertising on major network cable stations now. It's great because they cover everything from tv shows to movies and it doesn't cost a dime.

I hate to say it, but one way or another, movie stores are quickly dying. I know I don't have to tell you that, but with everything digital now, driving to a movie store and spending $5 on a new release is a thing of the past.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RandomHero
I hate to say it, but one way or another, movie stores are quickly dying. I know I don't have to tell you that, but with everything digital now, driving to a movie store and spending $5 on a new release is a thing of the past.
I hate to agree with him, but I think he is right. Video stores are cutting back on everything. They killed themselves around here getting ride of the VHS, as most renters were older people not wanting to step up to DVD's. Comcast offers all the on demand stuff for free.

Locally, all the small video stores are changing over to tanning salons. They are making a killing.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PappyDan
i have yet to see one business compete with free and survive.
How about the bottled water business? The **** comes free out of every tap in America but people feel compelled to spend a couple bucks on bottle A because it's supposedly from icelandic glaciers or bottle B because it's supposedly from fiji.

that business is striving over free. also a pet peeve of mine.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by wastedrubber
How about the bottled water business? The **** comes free out of every tap in America but people feel compelled to spend a couple bucks on bottle A because it's supposedly from icelandic glaciers or bottle B because it's supposedly from fiji.

Most people buy bottled water because of the convenience factor. Remember all those mini-fridges near the checkout lines in stores? They sell more water in those than anything else.

Very few people pay money for the water that supposedly tastes better, it's the stores charging $1.50 for a regular 20 ounce bottle of water that are making money.

In a sense it relates to the movie renting industry. Movie stores have the convenience factor over NetFlix or other mailorder system, but you can't beat the convenience of the Redbox(without just going online). You don't have to wait in line, get checked out by the greasy high school kid that somehow has been in training for the past 3 years he's worked there only to get hit up with a late fee.

I predict that as people upgrade to faster internet connections you will eventually be able to stream high definition movies on to your TV without ever having to worry about popping in a disk or anything of the sort. That would essentially put all tangible movie rental business out of business.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wastedrubber

good point. There was a study that even proved its just tap water in a bottle!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jeteys5.3
good point. There was a study that even proved its just tap water in a bottle!
Not all of it is just tap water. There is only one brand of bottled water I will drink and it is reversed osmosis or something like that. Probrably came from a tap before it was cleaned up though. I keep a water filter thingy in the fridge, just as good to me.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Tribe Shaman

well bottle water has nothing on beer.
the water filters used by the beer compaines makes the bottled water compaines look like they get it right out of the river.
and you are right, bottle water is a boom when the tap is free, but ads made us beleave that tap water was so bad and the fact floride was added to it had it compaired to toxic waste.
i bet i can tell you something about bottle water you did not know, maybe even most city water.
a college did certin test on water as an assignment for credit.
their study proved that most citys recycle waste water.
treatment plants can make the recycled water 99% pure by certin set gov standards.
but the college kids noticed that the filtering system only took care of hazzard waste.
when the waters were tested for medication, everything under the sun showed up.
the number 1 drugs that showed up the strongest was blood pressure medication.
5 of the top bottle water compaines also show high levels of blood pressure medication.
the filtering system cannot remove it, so the next time you grab your favorite bottle of water, please envision some old gezer taking a wizz, because the blood pressure medication that passed through his body and out his yen yang is now inside you.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

and that's why i don't drink water, only beer. lol actually i'm lucky enough to live off of well water, and fresh water is fairly plentiful up in the great lakes state. pretty disgusting little bit of info you shared though...

Back to Gran Torino, i finally went and saw it yesterday, awesome movie! Clint Eastwood is one badass crochity old bastard, but i thought the movie was well done, 1/3 comedy, 1/3 drama, and 1/3 action. very well done. it gets bonus points from me for being filmed in and around Detroit, though i wish they hadn't mentioned the Lions so many times... it would seem the Ford family may have a little stake in the film due to the several mentionings of their ill fated football team.

Quick Reply: Gran Torino Movie