THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Handicap Parking Space ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I parked in one once and had my brother run in real quick to break a 10. I would have moved for someone that needed the spot.
but this one lady yells out. "Can you believe how people park these days?" and then another woman with a butt that would take up my tailgate came up to me and started ranting about being parked there. I said Look lady. My wheelchair is RIGHT THERE in the back of my truck. is that okay?
She just said oh and continued on her way.

Sonic has handi parking too and I was there eating one day as I did on a daily routine and this guy in a van parked next to me. As I started to leave he yells out. "SOME PUNK KID". lol. I started laughing cuz its a damn DRIVE IN
Even though it is the principle of the matter.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been an issue for my family for years. My Dad has severe back problems among other things. He looks perfectly healthy, but can only walk very short distances. People will make comments.

I was told I could apply because of my back problems. Since my truck that is registered in my Dad's name and has handicap tags, I don't worry with it. He also has an extra window plaque I can use if I need it. The only time I will use a handicap spot is if I am hurting so bad that I am riding the cart around the store. Otherwise, I push myself really hard, and try not to live like my body wants me too. I feel embarrassed to appear healthy and ride the cart. The damaged nerves in my back make my legs fatigued and heavy. Some days I have no problems, some days I have to crawl up the stairs to my bed.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Where's the Beef?

I was looking on a cruise ship forum cuz i thought I'd want to go on one some day.The disabled where on there talking about their trips and everything. There are so many stories where they'll be waiting for the elevator and everyone will rush in infront of them instead of taking the stairs.
It's just amazing how lazy people are. It's okay to take the elevator, hell we all want to, but seriously cut someone in a chair off just so you can get on? WTF?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Where's the Beef?

Originally Posted by cttandy
This has been an issue for my family for years. My Dad has severe back problems among other things. He looks perfectly healthy, but can only walk very short distances. People will make comments.

I was told I could apply because of my back problems. Since I drive a truck that is registered in my Dad's name and has handicap tags, I don't worry with it. He also has an extra window plaque I can use if I need it. The only time I will use a handicap spot is if I am hurting so bad I am riding the cart around the store. Otherwise, I push myself really hard, and try not to live like my body wants me too. The damaged nerves in my back make my legs fatigued and heavy. Some days I have no problems, some days I have to crawl up the stairs to my bed.
Even tho I only barely have sensation in my legs I know EXACTLY what you mean.
If you need a chair for those days I have a couple extra's. One has a couple cut carbon fiber spokes and new wheels are like $650.
I could get one set up for you if you wanted. Both of the chairs cost over 3k new but I'm not using them and would be willing to donate em to someone who needs em.
I'd only ask you pay shipping.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by viciousknid
I was looking on a cruise ship forum cuz i thought I'd want to go on one some day.The disabled where on there talking about their trips and everything. There are so many stories where they'll be waiting for the elevator and everyone will rush in infront of them instead of taking the stairs.
It's just amazing how lazy people are. It's okay to take the elevator, hell we all want to, but seriously cut someone in a chair off just so you can get on? WTF?
One thing I hated about being in a retail business years ago was peoples attitude. We had a special sale day, people literally knocked an elderly lady over and walked on her to get into the store before her.

People have no real respect. I see it getting worse by the day. People used to stop and wait while I backed into my parking spot at work, now they try to ram you. They will know you over in the store rather then give you a minute to get out of their way. I really hate going out anymore.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Even tho I only barely have sensation in my legs I know EXACTLY what you mean.
If you need a chair for those days I have a couple extra's. One has a couple cut carbon fiber spokes and new wheels are like $650.
I could get one set up for you if you wanted. Both of the chairs cost over 3k new but I'm not using them and would be willing to donate em to someone who needs em.
I'd only ask you pay shipping.
I appreciate the offer. However, I think there are more needing people out there. In a year, I might have to ride around 1 time. I generally try to stop well before I reach that point. However, if I keep going to the cars shows, I might need something, LOL. I can't get myself to quit and leave.

I have learned that if I go shopping with the wife to time and space the day out. I get some sitting time, get a sit down lunch, take my time driving between stores, take the girls somewhere they can play while I sit and watch, etc. I have also learned not to carry my girls around, it's a little heart breaking for your little girl to ask you to pick her up and not do it, but it makes my day with them longer.

I also learned something new from my doctor. My problem comes from standing. I can walk a good 2 or 3 miles, but if I stand still for more then 8 minutes, my legs begin to start hurting.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:00 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's effed up man, if I saw that happen I'd be so mad I can't stand healty or fat people abusing handicapped parking spots either...they should be happy that they don't really need those spots