THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Having fun w/ new tires!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Having fun w/ new tires!

On Mon., I got my new tires put on. I always thought stock Ameritracs sucked. Dry, even when new sucked. Wet, snow, or ice. It didn't matter. I went almost 60k on tires that were shot at 45k miles.
My wallet kinda helped me chose. I thought of Goodyear Triple Treads, but decided to give General another chance. If my truck is ever a summer only, I'd try UHPs, maybe...let's see how these Grabber HTS's do.

Anyway, going round turns, they're better. I wanted to find a nice blacktop to play. I wanted to see how a 275 rear & a new style tire would do in a test.

I waited til all traffic passed to not draw attention. Turned around alongside a Costco. Came to a stop & matted it. No braketorque, just gas.
I stayed into it for, my guess, 200'. I left a pair of stripes.
I couldn't see behind me, smoke was pourin off the tires fillin the bed & air. I think they would've kept spinning if I stayed into gas. I didn't need to see a cop nor have anyone call, so I got outta it. Plus, I was approaching a blind corner.

Only vehicle that saw me was this guy in a Lincoln Mkx or Mkz, the suv.
I try to do a turn-around in Costco lot in a way he wouldn't see me nor get plate. He shoots me a dirty look. Oh well.

That was fun. Too bad, next time I need someone to vid for me.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's what I learned. Under normal driving, they're a good tire. Dragstrip testing may follow later in year, long as tranny behaves.
If they hook there, I should be good on tires til more power goes in. At that time, a UHP, or better yet, a drag radial will be prolly be needed for track.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I doubt any street tire's gonna hook up from a dead mash. My toyos were a joke at the track at full throttle...goin sideways down the track
Old 06-12-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

I dead hook with my michelins. I can bang every gear and maybe get a chirp at most.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hirdlej
I dead hook with my michelins. I can bang every gear and maybe get a chirp at most.
You're telling me from a standstill if you mash it, you dead hook? lmfao....especially on those crappy michelins (I ran those same tires).
Old 06-12-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I'm serious. If I dead smack mash it to the floor the back end shudders maybe once or twice with some chirping then it takes off and goes. 2nd gear dead flat *** hooks with no shudder. I am running the michelin latitute touring tires now. Nicest tire I've ever owned. Better than the LTX M/S's even. Spendy mother f'ers though.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my kumhos dont hook worth a damn, shift light stays on when u stomp it, lol
Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hirdlej
Yeah I'm serious. If I dead smack mash it to the floor the back end shudders maybe once or twice with some chirping then it takes off and goes. 2nd gear dead flat *** hooks with no shudder. I am running the michelin latitute touring tires now. Nicest tire I've ever owned. Better than the LTX M/S's even. Spendy mother f'ers though.

What rear end are you running? That is truly amazing with your power levels that you can dead hook on the street. I thought the the NV3500 had a super deep 1st gear too? I liked the Michelin's for longevity and good ride, but damn they are $$.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Latitude Tour is just like Goodyr T.T.---> $$$
I barely considered the Latitudes, due to price. I couldn't see myself spendin $650-700 on a set of 16", when I intend on going bigger. Eventually. I didn't want to end up w/a set of $$ Michelins or Goodyrs, lookin to get rid of when time comes to go bigger.