THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

help me pick a handgun

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a ton of guns out there that work, and work very well..

I perfer the Springfield Armory XD .40, it fits my hands well, and points natural. Ive shot competitions with the Service model. I only have about 10,000 rounds thru it, i love it and it goes every where with me in my truck. Winter time i CC it in a Gcode Holster.

I then bought a SA XD Sub compact .40 for CC all the other times. There only certian shirts i can wear to really conceal it. So i carry it when i can, i use a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB
Wore it saturday night on a date and nobody ever knew

Friend found me a Ruger LCP after i had been lookin for one for awhile. Snatched that one up real quick. it literally goes everywhere with me. right behind my wallet
it goes as a backup when im carring the XDSC, it fits so good in my pocket theres no reason not to leave home without it.. it fits in swimming truck pockets nice too.

a .380 in hand is better than a .45 in the glovebox...
Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LCP is pretty good, but there were some problems out of the gate. I've had my keltec 32 for 8 years and put a couple thousand through it without any malfunctions. To me the LCP is just a copy of the Keltec design. The Ketlec is also cheaper. Again, 380 ammo is almost impossible to find right now and when you can find it it's way more expensive than it should be.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Glock. No buttons, levers or switches. Just grab and go.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Smith & Wesson M&P .40 and I love it
Old 08-13-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by therock
Glock. No buttons, levers or switches. Just grab and go.
+1^^^ I love my Glock 22! I don't have to think about anything but pulling the trigger. And get a 40 caliber, dont waste your money on a 9mm. All you will do is **** someone off with a 9mm if you shoot them. There must be a reason why most police depts. ditched the 9's for 40's IMHO. You gotta love a gun that has the speed of a 9mm with the stopping power of a 45...best of both worlds....
Old 08-13-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1quickRST
+1^^^ I love my Glock 22! I don't have to think about anything but pulling the trigger. And get a 40 caliber, dont waste your money on a 9mm. All you will do is **** someone off with a 9mm if you shoot them. There must be a reason why most police depts. ditched the 9's for 40's IMHO. You gotta love a gun that has the speed of a 9mm with the stopping power of a 45...best of both worlds....
I don't think the person on the loud end of a 9mm is going to be pissed for long if you put one in there head and chest lol.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sharky05
I don't think the person on the loud end of a 9mm is going to be pissed for long if you put one in there head and chest lol.
HAHA! What I mean was, stopping power, 9mm really don't have any stopping power. They will definitely kill, but you wanna stop someone in their tracks, you should buy a 40 caliber or bigger IMHO.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

HAHA! What I mean was, stopping power, 9mm really don't have any stopping power. They will definitely kill, but you wanna stop someone in their tracks, you should buy a 40 caliber or bigger IMHO.
i agree. One reason the police ditched the 9mm's are because a 9mm will ricochet off glass for example car windows.....not good if a man is trying to run you over with his car and you have to shoot through the windshield
Old 08-13-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I have an XD40 service and an M&P 40c so far and both shoot great although I have to get an issue resolved with the mag releasing to easily on the M&P.

I won't repeat what these guys have said, but I would like to add a note about your girl carrying in a purse. BAD idea and if that is the only way she will carry then insist she at least get a purse that is purposely made for carry. The problem with purse carry is that it is way to easy for an attacker to get the purse away from her or at least get a hold of it to where she can't get to the gun.

My wife used to think carrying in a purse would be okay until I showed her why it isn't a good idea. I grabbed the purse while she had it around her shoulder and easily pulled her around with it and I think it kind of scared her how powerless she was against it. I didn't even surprise her to do it I was talking to her about it at a gun show and said "watch this" then grabbed it and jerked her around. She doesn't think carrying in a purse is such a good idea anymore.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here come my opinions...

Originally Posted by 06-crewhauler
i have a xdm 9 and love it i also have a beretta px4 strom 40 cal and love it both awsome gun have had no problems out of either they both have had about 800 rounds through them, i am not a glock fan hk r also awsome pistol , i would get xdm 9 or 40 or u could get a fn 5.7 that is what i want next
Big fan of XD. They will replace the glock in popularity soon. Not a fan of the FN 5.7...not the gun, thats great, its the ammo thats a pita, take that from a guy who has a 6.8mm AR, oddball ammo nowadays is impossible to find.

Originally Posted by PathfinderJr
As mentioned, you gotta find the pistol that fits you, not just the latest and greatest. That being said, if the XDm is the one, you won't regret it a bit. I have it in .40 and my dad has it in .40 and 9mm.

The 9mm is ridiculously manageable. I picked up my dad's for the first time and shot it at 10 feet. Almost made one large hole with it using simple WWB ammo. The .40 acts like a typical .40, but I recently added a solid guide rod with a heavier than stock spring. I haven't gotten to fire it at the range yet, but all the reviews say it transforms the felt recoil into more of a push than a snap, which will only reduce the time to require the target.
The only problem I see with the heavier spring is there is more of an opposing force when chambering the next round. Could result in the weapon not returning to full battery. As long as a hot round is used, there should be no problems.

Originally Posted by PathfinderJr
For summer carry, I'm all about the pocket wheelguns or mini-semi's. I don't have the coin to pick one up right now, but when I do it's probably gonna be the new Ruger LCR. I haven't heard of any of the fits like they had with the LCP, and I think its got some great amenities that are lacking on S&W pocket pistols.
Ruger LCP got mixed reviews when compared to other pistols in its class. Too light seems to be the biggest complaint, but that is firing continuously at a range. Carry, I still like it.

Thats a bit of an overstatement. Out of ten incidents with each caliber, 6 were first round drops with the 9mm, 8 with the .40 and 9 with the .45. Police Depts changing is one thing, but firing through a windshield is hardly going to be the case in a self defense situation. Not ruling it out, but its far less likely than a 'within arms reach' situation.

Originally Posted by truckmann
I have an XD40 service and an M&P 40c so far and both shoot great although I have to get an issue resolved with the mag releasing to easily on the M&P.

I won't repeat what these guys have said, but I would like to add a note about your girl carrying in a purse. BAD idea and if that is the only way she will carry then insist she at least get a purse that is purposely made for carry. The problem with purse carry is that it is way to easy for an attacker to get the purse away from her or at least get a hold of it to where she can't get to the gun.

My wife used to think carrying in a purse would be okay until I showed her why it isn't a good idea. I grabbed the purse while she had it around her shoulder and easily pulled her around with it and I think it kind of scared her how powerless she was against it. I didn't even surprise her to do it I was talking to her about it at a gun show and said "watch this" then grabbed it and jerked her around. She doesn't think carrying in a purse is such a good idea anymore.
I like that. Don't explain...demonstrate.

That said, all the opinions on here are personal situation dependent. These are the questions you need to answer...

What is the main intent for the pistol?

If carry is the answer, what type of clothing do you wear? Loose, snug? This will affect your decision between a single stack (1911 style) or a double stack mag (generally thicker and harder to conceal).

How many rounds do you foresee needing? If you go through a 13 round mag, you don't need a new gun, you need an instructor.

Where do you think you would prefer to conceal this weapon? Would a dehorned slide be beneficial?

Are you left or right handed? Keep in mind that 95% of production guns require modification for an ambidextrous safety/mag release. Slide release will almost always be for a righty.

Personally, I like Sig. I have a 226 Elite. Its tremendous, but I didn't buy with intent to carry (but I still do, I just have to have very loose button down shirts on so I don't print). I am looking for a 239SAS for a carry piece. They are a bit on the heavy side, but that only assists in re-acquiring the target. They have de-cocking levers, not safeties. On the DA/SA triggers, the double action pull is about 10lbs, single action is sub 4lbs.

Hope this helps. Good luck pistol shopping. Worst comes to worst, you hate the one you get, put it in the nightstand and go get another one.

Quick Reply: help me pick a handgun