THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

help me pick a handgun

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S&W .357 Scandium frame. Weighs 13 oz unloaded.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a FNP-9 and really like it. My dad has aN hk USP 9 compact that is also a very nice gun. dont forget about CZ either....their .45cal model 97 is a badass.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1quickRST
HAHA! What I mean was, stopping power, 9mm really don't have any stopping power. They will definitely kill, but you wanna stop someone in their tracks, you should buy a 40 caliber or bigger IMHO.

a 9mm hole will stop someone just as fast as a 40 or 45 cal hole. If you get shot you don't look to see how big the hole is and decide if you want to try again or not. a .22 through the heart or lungs can stop someone just as easy as a 40 through the stomach. A blood clot the size of a pen tip can kill someone.

I agree that a 40 or 45 would add more intimidation. but your not trying to compare gun sizes your trying to save your life. If you pull out your gun the person isn't going to notice the size of the barrel they're going to notice the flash of light and the burning sensation in their chest.

I wouldn't recommend using a 22 for carry that would just be plain silly. The point is that if you know how to aim and shoot properly it doesn't matter how big the hole is.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BLACKOUTSSS
The only problem I see with the heavier spring is there is more of an opposing force when chambering the next round. Could result in the weapon not returning to full battery. As long as a hot round is used, there should be no problems.
I increased the spring only 2 lbs, and the fellow who makes the solid guide rod has the exact same set-up with proven results. Like I said, though, I need to run it through at the range to get my own personal opinion of it too. It'll just sap some of the snap into the spring as opposed to the hands. The .40 is a pretty hot round anyway, so I'm positive there will be no issues.

I probably wouldn't ever swap out the spring on a 9mm, though, as it by nature is a well controlled round from the start.

Originally Posted by 03 BLACKOUTSSS
Ruger LCP got mixed reviews when compared to other pistols in its class. Too light seems to be the biggest complaint, but that is firing continuously at a range. Carry, I still like it.
Yeah, I've never really been interested in the LCP, but the LCR is a pretty basic, solid design that shouldn't have much issue at all. To date, I've yet to hear of manufacturing defects in the LCR. People have been freaking out over a metallic click they hear when they shake the gun, but its just in the trigger cam and isn't a functional issue.