THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Help me pick out an Assault Rifle

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyways, for your reference, an assault rifle is a select fire weapon, meaning it has the capability of firing full auto. Only reason I brought it up is the anti-gun people like to claim we have "assault rifles", when in reality it is semi-auto just like any old hunting rifle.

Now, onto your question, about a month ago I saw you could grab a basic Smith and Wesson M&P AR15 for $599 from CDNN. You can't beat that. I'd look into if they are still available.

The AK47 or 74 is also a good choice, can be had cheaper than the AR15. Cons to it are that it's much easier to clean, overall requires less maintenance, and also fires a more powerful round (if that matters to you). I completely strip my AR after every range session and cleaning it is not something I look forward to. My consensus is that you'll eventually end up with both.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done some research and have seen that the Romanian AK74 is probably the most popular AK variant in the US, but have also read that it isn't the best either.

As far as cleaning is concerned, can't you just do a basic field strip on an AR to clean it sufficiently?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Some of the military members who have used the M16 and M4 in combat would be able to tell you best if they've ever experienced any malfunctions with their AR due to it being dirty.

Personally, I completely strip down the bolt carrier and bolt and clean it out after every session as I said. I've never had a malfunction with my rifle with a couple thousand rounds, and I plan to keep it that way. At the range I beat the **** out of it, sometimes I'll sit and rapid fire 6-7 mags in succession. It's nice knowing it can do that reliably. I couldn't confidently tell you that it could do that if I hadn't cleaned it after 1000 rounds. Now an AK47 on the other hand, you can run an oiled shoe string down the barrel and it will function 100%
Old 08-18-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly $300.00 for a AK-74 is cheap man. They shoot a round similar to the ARs .223/5.56 round. The AK is a way more robust rifle. Now the AR has been around for awhile and there sooooo many add ons and optics not to mention railing systems available. SKS' are ok, not to sure on your laws in Texas but the only sks' I've fired here were a ten rounder fixed internal magazine, fed by a stripper clip. Go for the Ak-74 it might not look as tricked out as an AR but the need for maintenance is lower and reliability is very high.
P.S. I would still clean the gun after I go shooting anyways if you get the AK
Old 08-18-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
A friend of mines dad is wanting to sell me a Romanian AK-74 SAR-2 5.45x39 for $325. It has never been fired and seems to be in decent shape. However it has a pretty cheap feel to it as most of the metal looks like cheap stamped steal and the finish is pretty poor.

My question is, is that a decent rifle for $325? Or if I am going to go for a cheaper gun, should I try and find a higher quality built SKS rifle for cheaper, or should I look at spending more money on a better rifle (suggest some to me).

My budget is $500 or under to be realistic.
if you dont buy this your an idiot. you can throw this in the mud and take it back out and shoot it immediately after. it may look cheap, but its the only rifle in the world where you can put the mag in and use the rifle to do pushups on. that is a great deal.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fix your truck first.

Sorry, had to say it.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like a pretty fair price.... Its a good gun. I would say it would not even have to be used. If you whip it out people probably will scatter. Go check out cheaper than dirt and compare prices. You are close to that place i am sure.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:17 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Picked this one up for $450 a couple weeks ago, I've shot it ALOT and had the trigger lightened up and it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=466707
Old 08-20-2010, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
You're not buying an "assault rifle"
An assault rifle is defined as a selective fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.[1][2][3][4] Assault rifles are the standard infantry weapons in most modern armies. Assault rifles are categorized in between light machine guns, which are intended more for sustained automatic fire in a light support role, and submachine guns, which fire a pistol cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge.

Examples of assault rifles include the Kalashnikov family (by far the most prolific)[5], M16 rifle, G36, FN FNC, and the Steyr AUG.

any of the automatic rifles or semiautomatic rifles with large magazines designed for military use

Nuff Said... Btw I am a NRA and TSRA member and own many firearms
Old 08-20-2010, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Anyways, for your reference, an assault rifle is a select fire weapon, meaning it has the capability of firing full auto. Only reason I brought it up is the anti-gun people like to claim we have "assault rifles", when in reality it is semi-auto just like any old hunting rifle.

Now, onto your question, about a month ago I saw you could grab a basic Smith and Wesson M&P AR15 for $599 from CDNN. You can't beat that. I'd look into if they are still available.

The AK47 or 74 is also a good choice, can be had cheaper than the AR15. Cons to it are that it's much easier to clean, overall requires less maintenance, and also fires a more powerful round (if that matters to you). I completely strip my AR after every range session and cleaning it is not something I look forward to. My consensus is that you'll eventually end up with both.
yet again It is a assault rifle based on how much a mag can carry, the velocity of the round, and its ability to fire SEMI-AUTO and auto.

There always has to be some sort of Correction **** in the crowd. You may wanna do your research before doing so buddy

Quick Reply: Help me pick out an Assault Rifle