THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Holy Crap..

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now there is an expensive "Oooppss"! Wow.

Sorry for the guy that lost his life in that accident.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ap2002
by the way thunder, my uncle had an accident about 2 yrs ago here in houston, I used to drive/operate something similar but in way smaller size I believe, I think his has wheels or something??? well to make a long story short the container lifter or whatever its called lost pressure on the brake lines or something and he went right into the houston ship channel!! he said he was shitting bricks, he said he could not open the door to get out while he was under water due to all the pressure the water was pushing towards the cabin door, somehow he mangaged to barely open it while water was going in the cabin but still the cabin door was forcing the door close he was all the way out expect like 3 of his fingers were still trying to hold the door open when the door smashed his fingers and cut all three of them!! he just had to swim up to be able to get some fresh air quick, with alot of pain due to having 3 less fingers.... he was off for a while and then came back to work and they layed him off... I think that is some sorry *** ****.... I think he is suing the company or something, and I believe that company got into alot of trouble for not reporting the incident to OSHA or some other regulatory agencies....
That would be a Yard crane...
we have several of those out at Barbers Cut.., and soon to be more at the New Bay Port Terminal...
sorry about your uncle, I bet that was a difficult event to make it thru...
Old 03-08-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Veteran

I wonder if that Ship captain was the same as the Exxon Valdese?????
Old 03-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Originally Posted by ap2002
it is spelled OSHA??
DAMNIT!! I quit my job and go back to school and look what happens. I cant spell a damn thing.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW... I'm a heavy equipment operator and can say everyone dreads whatever your running having an accident like that. I've had machines feel like they were gonna go over on me a couple times and it's a scary feeling. Sorry about the electrician that lost his life... how did the ship hit the crane though? I mean, just by looking at the pictures it looks like the bulk of the machine is on land, did it hit the lifting arm or something?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MikeZQ8SS
WOW... I'm a heavy equipment operator and can say everyone dreads whatever your running having an accident like that. I've had machines feel like they were gonna go over on me a couple times and it's a scary feeling. Sorry about the electrician that lost his life... how did the ship hit the crane though? I mean, just by looking at the pictures it looks like the bulk of the machine is on land, did it hit the lifting arm or something?
the ship was turning around in the channel, and the bow of the ship struck the front 2 legs of then crane.
there is much distance between the crane and the edge of the dock.. about 5 feet or so...
the bow of the ship was far enough out it struck the legs...
I have seen some close calls here at our port, but nothing has fallen of=ver yet...
(praying, and crossing fingers)