THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Hurricane Rita

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hurricane Rita

Once again I am working in Africa while the family is waiting out the storm at home. I have talked to the family and so far winds in Lafayette are around 45mph. Winds at my house are currently 75-80 mph and the turbines have blown off my parents house. I am trying to contact my room mate and see if my house is damaged but I believe it will be ok. Lacassine, Louisiana is reporting 100 mph winds and Lake Charles and Cameron are reporting 125 mph winds. I know the airport in Lake Charles has a collapsed entrance terminal. My family in Lake Charles is currently waiting out the storm with my parents in Crowley, Louisiana. They are hearing reports of damage from a bunch of tornadoes spawned from the hurricane. My parents have no electricity and hopefully in a few more hours they can go outside to see any damage. For those of you wanting updates on the storm go to these sites.
Lafayette, Louisiana news channnels - www.katc.com and www.klfy.com

Lake Charles, Louisiana news channel - www.kplctv.com

Good Luck everyone with family and God Bless all of them.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I feel you man. I'm originally from Grand Chenier and Creole in Cameron Parish. I'm stationed in Va right now so I'm in good shape but my family and friends are still there. Both of my brothers originally evacuated to Lake Charles but they had to leave. One went to Crowley and one went to Merryville. I haven't heard from either since early yesterday. I'm still trying to find out what kind of damage Creole/Grand Chenier sustained. I'm hearing everything from 4-10 feet of water around there. If I hear anything about Crowley, I'll post up.

Good Luck,
J.R.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya man good luck. im from breaux bridge/cecilia area. also stationed in va. hopefully everything comes out alright.

seth
Old 09-24-2005, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Thank you fellows for the concern. I talked to the family and seems like everyone in Crowley is fine. Moderate damage to the roof of my parent's house. My house has no damage. Lake Charles has some serious damage and flooding in places. Cameron is also flooded from what I am hearing. Jennings also has a good bit of damage. Lafayette did ok although there was a few downed trees in a couple places. www.msnbc.com has some pictures from the hurricane.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My brother called this morning. He stayed in Crowley and is doing fine. He didn't really mention how much damage was done there. He left his truck and trailer at a friend's house in Holmwood and they were flipped over on their side. He was going to try to go down to Creole to check on his house but I just read on kplctv.com that the sheriffs dept. was turning people away all around Cameron Parish. I don't know if you've checked this out but I found it on klfy.com http://ritaforums.worldnow.com/group.../frm/f/7531073
Old 09-26-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know the Lafayette area is fine but Delcambre and Erath are both flooded. Abbeville also has some flooding. Here in Arnaudville, we had alot of branches down at our house but no sructural damage. I say we had gusts up to 80 mph here.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm still trying to find out more info on my hometown, Grand Chenier. It's in Cameron Parish. I know as a whole, CP is destroyed. I know both of my brother's homes are destroyed. The brother who lives in Creole, doesn't even know where his home is! The people that's been by said, "There is nothing there". There isn't even debris.