THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

I guess I will never understand

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An the saga continues
Old 02-15-2012, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't understand what the big deal is I guess. As far as cams go, no one really buys off the shelf anymore, they get custom grinds. And then, even if people did give exact lift and duration, there's so many different lobe profiles out there that it wouldn't matter anyways. You have two cams with identical lift and duration and perform totally different because of the lobes they're ground on.

I don't have alot of info about my setup out there because I got tired of people calling me a liar or telling me there's no way X setup will make Y amount of power or my setup should run a lot faster than it does or it should make more power, blah blah blah.

Another reason is, just like you said, there isn't anything different about my setup that hasn't been done before. Other than the way we approach putting it all together. If I ever do anything special with it, then yes, I'll let the world know exactly what we did so others can try and duplicate it.

Another thing I've learned over the years, the internet is probably the WORST place to gather information on how to go fast. I've spent so much unneeded money that it makes me sick at times. Go to your local track, look for the fast ls1 guys and talk to them. Talk to your local engine builders and head porters and tuners. The LS1 is not voodoo. It's just another engine and they can build them or give you solid advice. The cylinder heads are not space age. Your local porters can port them. Just because someone on the internet says if they didn't come from WCCH, they're junk, doesn't mean its true. I'll put my locally ported cathedral port heads against any others out there that are comparable. And I promise you, I have way less $$$ in them than others.

That's just my take on the situation. Call it stupid, or chickenshit or whatever, I don't care.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Baltimore Whore

You make very valid points in there.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^that had to be the best post in this thread so far... I find it stupid when ppl try to do stuff like that. Personally, it makes no difference what ppl know or dont lol
Old 02-15-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Only bad asses like myself can handle having two 19x/19x cammed beasts
Old 02-15-2012, 05:20 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not really on board with the custom spec cam.I got one specd just for ***** n giggles come to find out my exact specs but diff LSA were specd for a suburban and a crewcab silverado.All totally different animals weight ,gear,heads,and stall was all different .So how how is this what i need?

There are many cam makers that have something close to what ever can be custom specd sitting on the shelf.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grey matter 04
I am not really on board with the custom spec cam.I got one specd just for ***** n giggles come to find out my exact specs but diff LSA were specd for a suburban and a crewcab silverado.All totally different animals weight ,gear,heads,and stall was all different .So how how is this what i need?

There are many cam makers that have something close to what ever can be custom specd sitting on the shelf.
YOGOWYPI

You only get out what you put in. A person that specs a cam can only spec you one with the information he is given. The more info you can give them, the more suited to your vehicle he can make it.

I do believe that the "custom spec" cam has its place. It's place is not for a stock 5.3 with a few bolt ons in a 5000# truck and maybe a tt3000 converter. Of course your cam isn't going to be much if any different than someone elses. You have a stock vehicle. Get something that is proven time and time again, and get it used and save $150.

Unless you have a specific goal to reach as in E.T. or top end power, than a custom grind cam is not needed. In my opinion, for what that's worth. Now if you have a set of custom cylinder heads that you've spent good money on, and a nice rotating assembly underneath it, and you're wanting to, for example, spray a 300shot, you're obviously looking to make the most power possible and can probably justify spending the extra money for a cam built just for your application. Again, just because the specs may be close or even the same as someone elses, doesn't mean that it's going to perform the same. Remember, different lobes for different application.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Praise The Lowered

Originally Posted by grey matter 04

Was it a 222/226 .597/.601 ?? I have that cam, and have seen alot of people with it....It sure does make my truck haul ***

I have never unterstood super secretism on the internet Unless you race for money..
Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
Was it a 222/226 .597/.601 ?? I have that cam, and have seen alot of people with it....It sure does make my truck haul ***

I have never unterstood super secretism on the internet Unless you race for money..
which some people do and that will make it very hard to win a race.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lownslo
I am afraid not my friend, but the X.7 aluminum block is actually a x.7 cause its smaller that the X you first posted. The LXX is not a very good option cause the two last numbers dont match what everyone else is running so you my friend, are only gonna run some 10.20's with your set up because the split lobes are .xx apart and you cant run a 1XX LSA on a cam like that.
But I am also running a modxxed stxck air bxx so it makes up for the .xxx

Quick Reply: I guess I will never understand