THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

IMPORTANT!! Truck Caught Fire Need Input!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMPORTANT!! Truck Caught Fire Need Input!

Forgive me for posting this twice. Had it not been for the engine fire I wouldn't have, but this is pretty serious in my opinion.

Ok well I almost lost my truck tonight, and god do I feel like a ******* idiot.

I had tried to bypass my radiator and just run it through my 30k and stock transmission coolers.

Well I was driving around and didn't think anything of it and about 30 minutes into driving my truck starts smoking horribly. I pull off as quick as I can and pop the hood and there is transmission fluid on fire.

Thank god I always carry my fire extinguisher with me or it could have been much worse.

So basically here is my question. How do you bypass the transmission lines? Please explain like you would a child because apparently I shouldn't be touching my truck.

I just disconnecting both lines from the radiator and connected them with a length of hydraulic hose and clamped each end down. Obviously I did something wrong so please advise.

Thanks fellas and feel free to point and laugh.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Was the fitting barbed that put put the hose on? You aren't supposed to clamp those. It sounds like your hose just blew off....this is why I'm so hesitant no to use hard lines. Im glad you had your extinguisher, really tells me I need to get one.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think i'll get an extinguisher myself. Where is the fluid leaking?
Old 06-13-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Was the fitting barbed that put put the hose on? You aren't supposed to clamp those. It sounds like your hose just blew off....this is why I'm so hesitant no to use hard lines. Im glad you had your extinguisher, really tells me I need to get one.
I clamped them on. When I checked the hose it was perfectly fine. No holes in it and still clamped down tight. That's what I don't get. The hose was tight as **** too.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sixltrbtr
I think i'll get an extinguisher myself. Where is the fluid leaking?
I have no idea. It is puddled where the 2nd battery tray is(back passenger engine compartment) and all on the passenger side engine bay, but I can't find a leak on the hoses yet. It's too dark now to check so I'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Did I at least do the bypass right though fellas?
Old 06-13-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

How did you block off your radiator? Sounds maybe like your radiator exploded fluid out.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
How did you block off your radiator? Sounds maybe like your radiator exploded fluid out.
I hadn't yet. I let it drain overnight though. how much fluid could be stuck in the radiator?

It looks like I lost about a quart.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You put a hose between the two hard lines going into the radiator? If you cut the flared ends off of the lines to get the hose on it could have blown off. Especially if your line pressure is up from a tune or something.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that sucks... Only thing I did was unhook my lines for the trany cooler on the rad, hooked to my trans cooler.. Never ever had a prob, Hell I don't think I even blocked of the rad(trans cooler portion) holes that cooled the trans
Old 06-13-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sixltrbtr
You put a hose between the two hard lines going into the radiator? If you cut the flared ends off of the lines to get the hose on it could have blown off. Especially if your line pressure is up from a tune or something.
Nope didn't cut anything off. The hose is still on there tight as can be. It didn't budge a bit. That seems like the obviously answer(it was what I expected too), but it's still tight and clamped down.

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT!! Truck Caught Fire Need Input!