THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

IMPORTANT!! Truck Caught Fire Need Input!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Could one of your hard lines rubbed up against your headers and worn a hole in it? I'm worried about mine doing that since they do touch the header. That would explain why the fluid is up in the 2nd battery location.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That could very well be it. It would explain the fire. I've seen cars pouring trans fluid all the way down the bottom of the car and not catch fire. When you moved the lines you could have put one up against the header.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I dont think you did anything wrong man... just fix it and be about your business IMO

My cooler setup is -6 hose, no radiator, into a 30K cooler (clamped on barbed fittings) and back to the trans in -6 hose... I've seen hose that is clamped on to the stock hard line blow off WAY too many times. I've got good barbed fittings and two stainless clamps (facing opposite directions) on each side.... I've pressured it up to 160psi with my air compressor and its never leaked or blown off, and been like that for a few years now. I trust it 100%. If youve got any questions on how to make your hose setup bulletproof, hit me up... I've learned quite a bit and revised my setup sevral times.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Could one of your hard lines rubbed up against your headers and worn a hole in it? I'm worried about mine doing that since they do touch the header. That would explain why the fluid is up in the 2nd battery location.
Very good possibility. The whole reason why I did the radiator bypass is because my transmission temperatures will get up as high as 205* with light driving. I'll check tomorrow and make sure.

I can't thank everyone enough for the help. Aside from all my bullshit, it's awesome how many people have been willing to help and offer input.

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Have you started it since the fire? the reason i ask it i am wondering if you split the rubber line. When we attached a friends cooler, we tightened the clamps too tight and it split the rubber line within 2 miles of the first drive, sprayed tranny fluid everywhere... If you haven't started it yet, start it up and check for leaks....
Will do man. I need to go buy another fire extinguisher just in case. That has been the best $8 I've ever spent.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

When you do start the truck, and if there is not a leak evident at the time, check your tranny fluid level. That will help you figure out where it came from, because a quart of fluid would be noticable off the dipstick. I definitely wouldnt drive it without making sure its got enough fluid.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:16 AM
13 Second Truck Club

I had my trans line blow off and blew transmission fluid all over the engine bay, Im surprised mine didnt catch fire. Good thing it was pouring rain at the time and stranded my in an empty parking lot.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:52 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

before you try to fire it up, unplug the coils and turn it over a few times, you should be able to find the culprit that way....
Old 06-14-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Veteran

So I cleaned everything off and filled it back up with fluid and started it up. I can't find any leaks, nothing is dripping and everything seems normal. I'm going to drive it up and down my road and keep checking things.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could it have puked out of the dipstick tube? That's over on the passenger side.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sixltrbtr
Could it have puked out of the dipstick tube? That's over on the passenger side.
I suppose its possible. If it matters, my granny temps were up around 200* when this happened. That I'd normal for my truck in the heat though

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT!! Truck Caught Fire Need Input!