THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

internal combustion engines that run off water!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 09:01 AM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

He's right though. It takes alot of electricity using the electrolysis method to break down enough water to run a vehicle on the hydrogen gas generated.

The actual machine he built isn't running on water, it's running on electricity(220V single phase). The electricity is breaking the water down so the gasses can be used for a flame. He's just got rid of the big gas cylinder is all.

I didn't read about the car but, I can bet you there will be alot of batteries in any vehicle using electrolysis to break down water for a fuel. Those batteries have to be charged up somehow.

Electrolysis has been around forever, nothing secret about it or how it works.

This guy is a quack IMHO but, probably will get a few people to buy his $7000 cutting torch.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I was in a bad mood last night. The facts still stand, although I probably could have been more diplomatic in stating them. It's just that every time the price of gas goes up, the old "some guy invented a way to run cars on water but the (government | oil companies | automakers | liberals | conservatives | hippies | televangelists | dog catchers | animal rights groups) are keeping it from the public!!" story goes around, and I get a bit impatient with it because it is so filled with ignorance.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
(Smileys broken, please imagine BS flag here)

Anyone who has had 8th grade chemistry knows you can't run an internal combustion engine on water. Why? Because it's already burnt!!! (imagine smiley pounding hammer). Water is nothing more or less than burnt hydrogen. Now as to this quack's gizmo, I'm not sure what his "HHO gas mixture" is, and there is so much junk science in his explanation that I don't think he does either, but the key word I locked onto is "electrolysis". Electrolysis in this case is the passing of an electric current through water to break it down into its constituent elements, hydrogen and oxygen. It sounds like this guy thinks he has come up with a way to mix the resulting hydrogen and oxygen gases together without creating a huge explosion, until some catalyst (I'm guessing platinum sponge) is introduced, causing them to chemically recombine to form water again, with a substantial release of energy, hopefully in a controlled manner and not like the Hindenberg. So far nothing really new, it's been done since the 1800's. But do you see the catch? Electrolysis requires electricity, and lots of it, as it is the source of the substantial energy which is release on the recombination of the hydrogen and oxygen. In other words, the water is not a source of energy, but only a conveyance vehicle. The energy source is the electricity, or whatever creates it. Now where does the electricity come from, what with brownouts every summer?

Sorry, there really are no free lunches, but as P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute".

Please attempt to convince me otherwise.

you need to read thier website they have already developed the technology with a 220v power supply (not much) they can convert h2o to hho and they can control the temp which it burns at. Klein has already developed a generator and converted his car to run off both water and gas. The generator is for sale Im normally the bigggest sceptic just like you but with news stations covering it around the US and him selling an already developed product along with patents and congress inviting him to the capital. If this is a farse its a good one, I sent them an email last night we'll see what they say Ill give me a call today see what they say. Just the fact that they have a phone number is good.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

GMC DUDE speaks the truth. Its all about the bond energy... . . H2O has LOTS of potential power but its trapped in the O-H bonds. If you break the bonds (which takes energy) then you can reharnes that energy by reforming the bonds. Its simple thermodynamics:

Link about chemical bond energy

Show me proof and prove me wrong.. . . .
Old 07-26-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
you need to read thier website they have already developed the technology with a 220v power supply (not much) they can convert h2o to hho and they can control the temp which it burns at. Klein has already developed a generator and converted his car to run off both water and gas. The generator is for sale Im normally the bigggest sceptic just like you but with news stations covering it around the US and him selling an already developed product along with patents and congress inviting him to the capital. If this is a farse its a good one, I sent them an email last night we'll see what they say Ill give me a call today see what they say. Just the fact that they have a phone number is good.
Yes, if he is being invited to Congress it will indeed be interesting. I believe that his vehicle consumes water, just like an old-fashioned steam locomotive consumes water. But, in both cases the water is not the source of energy, but only a means of conveying it. For the steam engine it carries the energy from the burning coal, wood, or oil to the piston. In this guy's car it carries the energy from the 220V outlet to the fuel cell or whatever he is using. But the source of the energy is the electricity, and where does it come from? OK, it can come from other sources besides oil, so that may be a good thing, and if that is what he is saying, then he is telling the truth. But the notion that a car can run on water as its originating source of energy is just not correct.

But we shall see, stay tuned.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

In the article I posted they talk about a metal alloy that they dropped in the water/salt solution and hydrogen bubbles formed on it. It is possible to lower the activation energy with a catalyst but that seemed a little on the far side to me. What do ya'll think?
Old 07-26-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by exhappen
In the article I posted they talk about a metal alloy that they dropped in the water/salt solution and hydrogen bubbles formed on it. It is possible to lower the activation energy with a catalyst but that seemed a little on the far side to me. What do ya'll think?
All of the pure Akal Metals react with water to release energy, and are commonly available
Old 07-26-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

And my wife thinks were all a bunch of rednecks only concerned with et's and horse power.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
Yes, if he is being invited to Congress it will indeed be interesting. I believe that his vehicle consumes water, just like an old-fashioned steam locomotive consumes water. But, in both cases the water is not the source of energy, but only a means of conveying it. For the steam engine it carries the energy from the burning coal, wood, or oil to the piston. In this guy's car it carries the energy from the 220V outlet to the fuel cell or whatever he is using. But the source of the energy is the electricity, and where does it come from? OK, it can come from other sources besides oil, so that may be a good thing, and if that is what he is saying, then he is telling the truth. But the notion that a car can run on water as its originating source of energy is just not correct.

But we shall see, stay tuned.
The difference here is the allocation of fuel H20 is harmeless and widely abundant you can control the conversion to hho and the catalyst is only a 220v power supply one battery can supply this especially because it seems hho has 10-12 times more energy potential than gasoline you dont need a large amount.
The current hydrogen engines and current thought revolve around combining H+O to release energy, create electricity and drive a motor.
"A fuel cell produces electricity directly from the reaction between hydrogen (derived from a hydrogen-containing fuel or produced from the electrolysis of water) and oxygen from the air. Like an internal combustion engine in a conventional car, it turns fuel into power by causing it to release energy"
The klein method is creating fuel from water that is then combustible and has little emissions. So its more geared toward using traditional internal combustion technologies and has much more potential power than a vehicle powered by electricity which is what the 99% of alternative fuel cars revolve around this is why it is different and alot more applicable and interesting. This is also why they have not caught on there is no transition from an oil based engine to an alternative one, and of course why there is little support. Here we have a method to convert an engine that can run off both hho and gasoline or a mixture of the two, this is what we have been waiting for a way to wean ourselves from the grips of fossil fuels.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.environment.ky.gov/law/la...05/gadgets.htm

http://mobjectivist.blogspot.com/200...t_archive.html

also found this good post on acetone as a gas addative alot of these guys have more to say than us
http://peakoil.com/fortopic6172-0-asc-0.html
this article on acetone as an addative is the ****
http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Quick Reply: internal combustion engines that run off water!!!