THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Its an ENGINE not a MOTOR! Its a Torque converter not a STALL!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put this in their sig since its what a REAL STALL is

Old 10-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

I usually don't worry about the engine/motor thing. I say motor most of the time.

And old definition of motor/engine was... a motor was a unit that could use some form of fuel/electricity to produce power. An engine was a motor with all the things present to produce power.

That's why an electric motor is referred to as a motor. It needs electricity from an outside source to produce power.

But a locomotive is referred to as an engine because it has everything present to produce power.

It might be hard to find it defined that way now days, but that was the old school definition.

Personally I don't care if people say engine or motor. Doesn't bother me either way.

Last edited by Fasglas; 10-11-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 08Chevy

hahaha
Old 10-11-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

why not just know what people are talking about? i mean i know i have no dizzy on my truck motor but my stall converter makes good power specially since i added my race chip in. if i ever change to tubo ill prolly run the biggest intercooler i possibly can 2. i think running naws is fine with me for now though. what do yall think bros? it should run hella good right? oh and are my rims too big?

did i get them all for ya??
Old 10-11-2010, 04:38 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
why not just know what people are talking about? i mean i know i have no dizzy on my truck motor but my stall converter makes good power specially since i added my race chip in. if i ever change to tubo ill prolly run the biggest intercooler i possibly can 2. i think running naws is fine with me for now though. what do yall think bros? it should run hella good right? oh and are my rims too big?

did i get them all for ya??
Bro its alot cheaper if you just get one of those turbonators that goes in your intake tube, then hook up one of them propane injections to your motor. Your stall will be alot bigger since you will be making 200+ more HP. Don't forget one of those piggyback tunes that you get on ebay for 2 dollars.... you can think me later
Old 10-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jared91
well speaking of trains, those have diesel engines, which act as generators for electric motors and store charge in batteries for the electric motors. its like a subway line where the train gets its power from the tracks, but its self contained. also have regenerative braking, like on a hybrid car. bjones can explain further.
Close, but not quite. A diesel electric locomotive has a diesel that drives a main generator which provides current directly to electric motors connected to the wheels (no batteries used to store energy).

The electric braking (called dynamic braking) uses dynamic braking grids to provide a load to the electric motors connected to the wheels. When in braking mode the electric motors connected to the wheels (called traction motors) (each one weighing about as much as a small automobile) are converted to generators and provide current to the braking grids which causes a load on traction motors which provides resistance to the wheels turning slowing the locomotive and train. This produces a lot of heat in the braking grids which are cooled by large cooling fans on top of the locomotive. Basically the energy produced by the braking force is pissed away as heat (once again no batteries to store energy).

I'm sure they'd like to use batteries to store the energy, but I don't think the technology is there yet to store that kind of power in batteries that would fit on a locomotive. Seems like I read somewhere that they are trying to do it. But the diesel electric locomotives you see here in the USA function as described above.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get over it you **** retentive ********, jeez everyone knows what everyone means.

I see nothing wrong with call a torque converter a stall as it may not be the full terminology but it is the correcto terminology. Technically its a higher stall speed torque converter than factory. None of you lazy asses are going to type all that out I know Im not going to.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:47 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Chevy

Ha ha, that's great...try bolting one of those to your flywheel
Old 10-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Engine?

Old 10-11-2010, 06:27 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Engine?

Injun

Quick Reply: Its an ENGINE not a MOTOR! Its a Torque converter not a STALL!!!!