THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

its really difficult...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:43 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But that's when I start to lose control!!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

You only loose control if wheel speed isnt high enough.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:04 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Just drained the fluid, and the smell is absolutely rancid. Pulling the trans tonight, may need some air fresheners. Also spoke with the company again today, and since the kit is proprietary, they are not willing to give me information related to the separator plate mods nor tell me exactly what fluid circuits were modified to help my diagnosis. So I am on my own. Other interesting piece of information to note...they have not patented their designs because they do not wish to make the information public. But honestly what's to stop me or anyone else from tracing out the holes on the separator plate onto a stock one and reverse engineering it? It might take me an hour to do, and without any information protection that design would be completely public with no restrictions. Seems sort of backwards, no?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Most guys in the field know how they did it any way, and most of which dont like the strategy used by them for safety reasons. They would be stupid to try and patent it since anyone that would try and copy it already knows how to do it the way they do!

Sorry to hear about the trans...might want to give Gilbert a call. Tell him your story and see if he is surprised
Old 08-21-2012, 01:11 AM
Mod with training wheels

Probably people who have traced out the separator plate...lol. I am tempted to make my own little combination of shift kit tricks after learning more about this stuff. I like some of the ideas they used, some seem sort of useless.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to see the company had no help to offer you.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Mod with training wheels

Well I like working on stuff and I'm pretty good at reverse engineering, so in I go...
Old 08-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

learn to build it yourself... that is what i did with the help of a few mods/members... No when my trans breaks i can at least fix it... with that said, my transmission project was one of the funnest projects i have done to date.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:20 AM
Mod with training wheels

Speak of the devil, the problem is in the overrun assembly... Somehow, either when I had it rebuilt before or by some random freak of nature, the snap ring for the overrun clutch spring wasn't completely seated. I'm sure the first time I dropped the selector into 3rd, that piston came forward and smoked the roller clutch. Just went downhill from there...

Intermediate clutches were starting to burn again. Still an issue with that valve body. I only got into boost one time to feel that 1>2 shift and that was it, drove home.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Mod with training wheels

Since I was informed by Jake's Performance that they would not be able to provide further tech support with their shift kit for my sloppy 1>2 shift, I have emailed to discuss the terms of returning the hardware. I watched every move my trans builder made like a hawk when he was installing the kit to ensure no steps were missed. According to the shift kit directions he didn't miss a thing. There was a Sonnax boost valve missing from the kit initially, but I spoke with Jake about that part being omitted and he said it must have been missed when the kit was assembled but that it was not necessary for the kit to work properly. Being that a hole was forgotten in the separator plate, I am inclined to believe there may have been something else missed in my shift kit. So I'll be waiting for their response about a refund...

Quick Reply: its really difficult...