THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

its really difficult...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You cant go wrong with an Transgo HD2 shift kit... alot cheaper than what your goin thru too.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This is why once I learned a little... I always built my own stuff... Even if something goes wrong it just costs parts and you usually end up learning along the way.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thats awesome to hear. I've seen two transmissions built by them last behind 800rwhp+ cars for many thousands of miles. My buddy has one sitting on the floor waiting to go into his Phoon project. Makes me excited to put it in. Just due to customer service, or their lack there of. And they are very proud of their stuff thats for sure.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Yeah thats about right. In both cases they are roller type, one way sprags that can handle quite a bit of load applied gradually...but shock load can demolish them in a hurry. The overrun clutches take the load off of the roller clutch when not in D so it adds a lot of strength. Same thing with letting off in 2nd at high rpm, but its the intermediate sprag.
Does the same thing happen when you press Tow/Haul and it drops a gear, or do I need to manually select 3?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

All the tow/haul button does is change shift points and torque converter lockup speeds.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atomic
All the tow/haul button does is change shift points and torque converter lockup speeds.
In the new ECM's you can also control all your shift times, pressures, profiles etc. Set it too granny shift and then when you hit the button it switches over to business mode
Old 08-22-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Atomic
So internally, being in third gear via Tow/Haul isn't the same as manually selecting 3 with the shifter?

Wheatley set my T/H to downshift a gear and raised the shift points. IIRC, T/H is set to not let me go into OD.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about a manual valve body?
Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by tiffo60
In the new ECM's you can also control all your shift times, pressures, profiles etc. Set it too granny shift and then when you hit the button it switches over to business mode
Lol, business mode.

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
So internally, being in third gear via Tow/Haul isn't the same as manually selecting 3 with the shifter?

Wheatley set my T/H to downshift a gear and raised the shift points. IIRC, T/H is set to not let me go into OD.
No its not the same, because manually selecting a gear moves a valve in the valve body. Electronically the PCM can only open and close solenoids, not move valves.

Originally Posted by black4.8
how about a manual valve body?
If I had a full race truck like Mitch, maybe... But I want my truck to be something my grandma could hop into and drive if she needed to. Just add the little disclaimer about how not to push the pedal too far..
Old 08-22-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by smokeshow
No its not the same, because manually selecting a gear moves a valve in the valve body. Electronically the PCM can only open and close solenoids, not move valves.
I see, good to know, thanks

Quick Reply: its really difficult...